ad: elecraft

QSO Today - EP 18 - Jim Kinter - K5KTF - Broadband Mesh Networks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is is possible for ham radio operators to have a broadband wireless network for the transmission of voice, video, and data as a backup, to the Internet and the commercial infrastructures, that we depend upon? Jim Kinter, K5KTF, thinks it is. Jim is the chief evangelist for the Broadband Hamnet group in Austin, Texas. Ham radio broadband mesh networks is the topic of conversation in Eric’s, 4Z1UG, QSO Today with Jim Kinter, K5KTF. Ham radio mesh networking began with the conversion of Linksys home routers, with special firmware, into a robust wideband data network to allow voice, video, and data between hams in the amateur bands. Join Eric and Jim in their QSO Today.

Show Notes: http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/k5ktf

Podcast Link:http://goo.gl/mWKm3l

iTunes Store: http://goo.gl/CvLNmV

Stitcher: http://goo.gl/uhf1XZ

2. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

April Fools Day?

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How so?

I found the podcast interesting, but I have been looking into this stuff for a long time, and it seemed to me like every time the speaker started to get interesting, the interviewer interrupted him in order to explain it all to the HF hams in the audience.

The DX contest sounds more interesting right now... but I'm working on building some of these nodes. He really didn't talk about HSMM-Pi, which is the way I was going, but the Ubiquiti 900 MHz stuff is very interesting. Hams can understand 900 MHz - it's much less 'microwavy' than the other stuff.

Back when dirt was a new concept, we all had Heathkit Twoers so we could chat across town. Maybe next, we'll all have Ubuquiti half watt 900 MHz radios so we can get on the private ham WAN in the town.

4. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I too have been looking at Mesh net works, however the closest group playing with them is in excess of one hundred miles to the South. My associates in Owosso tell me how well they work and are trying DX! You mention APRS Packet or Mesh Networks around here and its like going to Radio Shack and asking for a Op-Amp.

5. AH6OY

AH6OY Ham Member QRZ Page

Cable TV is using 40m up passing digital tv, regular tv, pay per view and other interacting back to company and internet service all on the same cable. As long as coax not emitting signals out is used between stations it's ok. Putting signals is the air gets the FCC involved. I just wonder if going super qrp allows getting by the laws for signals. But then as soon as a ham comes up with a good low power communications system an FCC desk jockey will hijack the method and call it their domain.

6. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you start to judge Broadband Hamnet, read the specs. It's used in the amateur radio portion of 2.4 GHz. And yes, it's legal, but you have to watch the content on the network. And it is legal to increase the power and gain. It has some very good uses for EMCOMM work. And, with it's self-configuring network, it becomes easy to use. Its also a good solution for remote control of radios.

For those who don't have a clue, the modified router actually becomes the radio for a laptop or other computer, and modified routers can be used as repeaters to extend the range.

Plus, most the hardware is dirt cheap. For years, folks have been trying to get packet to go 9.6K. But the equipment was expensive. The leaves 9.6K sitting in the dust.

Attached Files:

7. KB0VGD

KB0VGD Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This approach by the BBHN folks, is the best plan for the future of WiFi networking, amateur radio flavored.
    Modern, off the shelf, reliable, good ranges in a plug N play package, and depending on planned need, relatively inexpensive.

Good mention KB0VGD...................

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

This article is simply an ad. And it appears in QRZ over and over again. I ask why?

10. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL It's not an"AD" it's information on BBHN, another mode of operation. a free one. There's nothing commercial about it.

11. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Eric!
    Great to see you on the Zed. I would like to make another appearance on QSO Today in the near future. I FINALLY got my propagation manuscript finished and submitted to ARRL, and as soon as I have a handle on a publication date, I'll let you know. QSO Today is a great forum!
    Shalom!
    Eric

12. KX5DX

KX5DX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is everywhere because it is a great concept, please do your research.

13. 4Z1UG

Eric - thanks for the message. I love making the podcast and meeting and learning about areas of ham radio that I have not explored.

Eric

14. 4Z1UG

I agree. This stuff is new to me. But I love the idea and have decided to promote it because it has great utility, uses the band to protect it against commercial interests, and it advances our state of the art. It is also cheap.

15. 4Z1UG

I intend to invite Jim back to do a deeper dive into this for our subscribers. I was afraid that going too deep in the first round would lose most of my listeners who may not be at home in routing, subnets, and other networking lingo. The more research that I am doing the more I find other websites that address the issues that you are raising.

Your comment about the Heathkit Twoer I think is right on. I think that if we do this right, a mesh node in every ham shack will be like the two meter radio was 40 years ago. Of course with an Asterisk phone system connected to route our CQs. HIHI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.