ad: portazero-1

My DX Summit goes live

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

My DX Summit goes live

DX Summit once changed the DX hunt. Today hardly anyone is using the traditional Search and Pounch approach. Everyone is connected to a DX cluster locally or over the Internet. Easy to use and operated by Radio Arcala (OH8X), DX Summit maintains its position as one of Amateur Radio's largest web portals, but it will now be refreshed - big time!

DX Summit is modernized for a second time around, and MY DX SUMMIT will now go online today for limited dedicated pre-user testing. We will welcome some 200 pre-users who are prepared to try it out and provide immediate feedback to the development team. The aim of this exercise is to serve as the final debug phase and to enhance user experience to maximum satisfaction before tens of thousands suddenly fire their browsers to help them in their future DX hunt.

We ask you if would you like to be one of the few to have this experience today? If you say “yes”, please kindly be prepared not only to test but to provide a timely response.
    Send a note to radioarcala@gmail.com and we will give you guidance to get started.

What to expect? Adding to the traditional spot functions you can create own cluster view to monitor a selected callsign or multiple callsigns real-time for band and mode specific spots. Or you can exclude everything from your DX Summit view you're not interested in. Also you can open several of those windows and you can have past and current spots showing together. Basically you have full flexibility to customize your DX Summit easily to show exactly what you're interested in.

Additionally, an advanced propagation tool powered by VOACAP is laid out in such a way that it tracks your location as a starting point, and when clicking a spot it shows your propagation to that location as of that moment but also for an entire period of 24 hours on all bands. You can instantly understand whether your best chances for a QSO are gone or just coming up. This will also be a great educational tool for those wishing to gain insight into the total propagation picture, including the existing radio propagation.
    Additionally, a DX News section is integrated for your viewing pleasure while spending your time at MY DX SUMMIT.

Just send us a note and you will be part of a new phase in the DX Hunt!

MY DX SUMMIT DEVELOPMENT TEAM

MY DX SUMMIT can be found on: http://new.dxsummit.fi/

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about adding a feature which stops the cowardly idiots from erroneously posting false spots & comments? I hope there will continue to be a filter for all of the W3LPL "heard in" nonsense as well......................Other than those issues DX Summit provides a great service to DXers/contesters.

Tom KCØW

3. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Ego 'heard in' spots by super stations are irritating.

4. KB8NUF

KB8NUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not Everybody is totally dependent on a DX Cluster. I will admit that I occasionally do use a cluster but 90% of the time I prefer the hunt and pounce routine. Call me old fashioned but I still like to listen more than transmit.

5. M0REX

M0REX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tuning over the bands it would now appear when it comes to a DX pedition half the band is taken up with stations repeating their call signs for hours on end, with no result.To add insult to injury,some of the DX peditions just call QRZ (a) With no call sign or (b) with sparse mention of split operation.The DX cluster is now relied upon by too many to make a DX contact.In my opinion,while being a useful tool to check on conditions,it has spoilt any serendipity that was once part of the joy of the hobby.Another point.When calling a DX pedition in droves,please remember ham radio is a hobby, not a matter of life and death.

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't use the cluster, too lazy. I spin the dial until I hear whose calling, decide on the amount of the pileup and who the call is whether it's worthwhile. I'm not a paper chaser or a guy that just wants a checkmark on a list. I do look at the cluster when I am not on the radio to see who is out there, that is usually when I am just checking out the web, not when I am playing radio. Probably why I haven't gotten a WAS or a DXCC after 5 years on the radio. Too many other things to do here in Oregon outside.

7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with "heard in" cowboy. Why should DX-Spotting be limited to those who only make a contact? It's SPOTTING Tom!

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Since it also shows azimuth and distance, I use the SK6AW cluster instead. That wouldn't matter if I didn't have a rotatable antenna.

9. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Spotting filters. Learning how to use them, 101.

10. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Filters are one way but removing them from the root level is better.

11. W5WN

W5WN QRZ Lifetime Member #379 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Especially when the spots are false, malicious and defamatory. DX Summit ignores reports from those affected and the spots remain in the database and on the internet. Enter a specific call sign in your browser and all manner of nasty spots on DX Summit show up if someone decides to harm another hams reputation.

12. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya, I'm quite aware of how to use the filters on DX Summit. That's why I stated, "I hope there will continue to be a filter"............In my original post.

Tom KCØW

13. N0TOP

N0TOP Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Site, Dont change anything

14. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Ill do hunt and pounce, because it's a 1st call contact and they arent on the cluster yet.. Much more efficient.

15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

correct, certain people (whos IP address is visible on other clusters) do this repeatedly.

they post BS comments using a fake call and then later they post ligit posts using their real call,...... and the IP is the same.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.