ad: k1jek

Shortwave’s Newest Broadcaster Takes to the Air at 7:00 pm Eastern on Oct. 31

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC1APY, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC1APY

KC1APY Ham Member QRZ Page

(Hollywood, FL) Oct. 21, 2014 – Global 24 Radio LLC announced today that its inaugural broadcast will go live at 7:00 p.m., Friday, Oct. 31 (0000 UTC November 1), with a line-up of new and well-known programs and around-the-clock English language programming. The broadcast can be heard 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 9395 kHz on WRMI broadcasting from Okeechobee, Florida.

“We’re very excited about launching Global 24 and the important contributions it will make to shortwave radio listening – as both a medium worth preserving and a vital part of the modern media mix for so many listeners around the world,” said Phil Workman, general manager of Global 24. “Our broadcast will appeal to dedicated shortwave listeners (SWL) all over the world looking for breaking news, opinion and music.”

Global 24 aims to revitalize the shortwave medium by bringing general interest news and entertainment into sharper focus for listeners looking for high quality programming on a daily basis. Regular listeners will be informed, entertained and engaged in an ever more complex world.

According to Jeff White, general manager of WRMI, “Global 24 represents another step in the long overdue commercialization of shortwave radio. We are excited to be working with them on their ambitious program to engage and entertain a global audience.”

Additional press releases in coming days will announce our broadcast schedule, our Listeners’ Club, contests, sponsors, our web store, staff and much more. Follow us on Twitter at @Global24Radio or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/global24radio. Visit our website: http://www.global24radio.com to join our email newsletter for the most current updates.

- See more at: http://about.global24radio.com/for-...-october-31-on-9395-khz/#sthash.qVBdeD04.dpuf

2. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck!

John WPE7COH

3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

It will at least be a good way to see if 30 Meters is open in that direction. But for an "old" SWLer, this is good news. However, final judgment will wait until I find out what the programming will be. Let's hope it includes a lot of good old Americanism analogous to what we hear coming from other countries around the world. Florida is a great place for shortwave broadcasting because of the excellent ground there considering that the water table is much closer to the surface in some places.

I remember listening to the Voice of America every night in 1955 from central Florida on a Modern Radio Laboratories crystal radio. The station was from just north of Cincinnati. Let's hope the new station has a decent antenna system and enough power to make itself heard around the world and not depend entirely on atmospherics.

I've already dedicated a memory location on my radio for the station once it gets on the air.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So long as they have one hour a week of Big Band music, or, QSO Radio Show, or DXer's Unlimited, the rest is irrelevant!:D

Heck, if they can play Turkish music that would be great!

5. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't miss Sunday Night Swing Shift every week on KVOH, Monday 0300 GMT.

Also, Big Band Sunday Night on 740 CFZM, but I don't know if you can hear it from there.

7. KO6KL

KO6KL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WW7F

WW7F Guest

I hope(not that I dislike religion) that is it not another outlet for TBN TV audio like the other station I think they have.
    It would be nice to have a variety of stuff, there are already too many religious SWBC stations IMO:)
    I would not even care if it was DRM mode, even more fun to tune in from what I have heard,pun intended,LOL:p Might just get one of those dongles to receive the ones that are doing digital.
    73, Michelle PS, Wish some of the stuff like BBC and RAdio Australia used to broadcast but those were the good old days of SWBC IMO, Hope they revive, but not be a 24/7 revival,LOL:)

9. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I started tracing it out on Google Earth. Very nice layout.

27°27'26.70"N 80°55'59.60"W

WRMI.jpg

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

WRNI - "Radio New York International"

WRMI - "Radio Miami International"

Yeah, I guess I do see the similarity now that you mention it. :)

11. KJ4IDH

KJ4IDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Took a tour of the place a few years ago after the Okeechobee hamfest..
    wyfr0001.jpg

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry Michele, that other station, WYFR, went QRT last year, as its divine inspiration with deep pockets assumed room temp. The folks at nearby WRMI, which I believe has been always a more secular commercial venture, acquired the transmitter assets.

This is good news. Perhaps a slight revival of SWBC? I might have to fire up the ole Knight Space Spanner again...

Some links,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYFR

http://tinyurl.com/kvb2h8y

The Resurgence of Shortwave Radio

http://tinyurl.com/q28stq3

There used to be a video online of a tour made by hams in the area but I cant find it. Lots of big xmtrs and antennas!

73 de John WØPV

13. WZ9O

WZ9O Ham Member QRZ Page

I am so excited for this! My grandfather told me about his days he was an SWLer, though he never persued his ticket... If he was still alive, he would enjoy this a lot, and I hope to enjoy this new SWL station being QRO in the when I get home from college for a little CW SS action

14. K5QPO

K5QPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any frequencies. Do they have a single frequency or different ones for different times of the day? Where can I find them? I even checked their web page and did not find frequencies. Thanks for that information.

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From the link in the original thread above.... "7 days a week on 9395 kHz on WRMI broadcasting from Okeechobee, Florida."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.