ad: Radclub22-1

USECA Hamfest, Sunday 10/26/2014, Detroit Metro area's largest..

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by N8KC, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8KC

N8KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Visit the Detroit area's largest Hamfest. Sunday October 26th. Easy access, just off I-75, just south of 13 Mile Rd. Talk-in on 147.180+ (100Hz PL). Vendors needing tables should make reservations ASAP to assure accommodation. See attached pdf for further info..
    View attachment USECA2014Hamfest.pdf

2. W8DU

W8DU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great location, but if that was "Detroit's largest," then we are in trouble indeed. ON the plus side, I did not feel jammed in like a sardine.
    73....W8DU

3. N8KC

N8KC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't feel that "Swap Size" is really an indicator of Amateur Radio's trouble. The days of local Hamster stores are gone. Just as your local hardware and grocery store have succumbed to the Megalomarts, so has the local ham store.. replaced by Internet shopping and regional mail-order stores. Those Ham Megalomarts ONLY go to Dayton anymore... and a few no longer do (in case you haven't noticed Dayton has shrunk too). The days of home-brewed rigs are pretty much gone too, as is the need to stock up on spare tubes... that's got more to do with the state of the technology and little to do with the ham population, which IS growing. USECA's swap, unlike some others locally, has grown slowly but steadily. I've watched several other local Amateur Radio clubs all but disappear and it had nothing to do with their Swaps.. it had more to do with the club leadership or a lack of offering a welcome to or recruiting new hams. Our swap is a source of income for the club, and we strive every year to make it the best in Detroit.. nicest facility, best food, cleanest, easy access, lots'a parking, etc.. but it is only one of about 3 dozen events and gatherings we do EVERY year. THAT's what defines USECA and THAT's why USECA continues to thrive and grow.
    BTW... Congrats to Dan (KD8YAF) the winner of the Elecraft KX3 and our other cash winners!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.