ad: wmr-1

CQ policy on stations in Crimea using Russian-issued call signs in CQ contests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ policy on stations in Crimea using Russian-issued call signs in CQ contests

After considerable deliberation, CQ has determined that the best course of action regarding Crimea and CQ contests is to follow the lead of the United Nations and the United States government, both of which continue to consider Crimea to be part of Ukraine, until such time as the political situation there is resolved. Therefore,

Logs will not be accepted for any CQ Contest from stations in Crimea operating with Russian-issued call signs. Contacts made by others with those stations will be removed from contestants' logs without penalty. No contact or multiplier credits will be given.

We fully realize that our action may very well disenfranchise several Crimean contesters who use Russian prefixes instead of Ukrainian prefixes. As regrettable as that may be, our action is consistent with international law, as well as with our own Rules.

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. EI9JU

EI9JU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. VE3JSO

VE3JSO Ham Member QRZ Page

and i thought politics should be left out of ham radio

4. KB2KAB

KB2KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

:confused: UHMMMM? RADIO / POLITICS ---- SINCE WHEN DID POLITICS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH RADIO. VERY ANGRY WITH YOUR CHOICE. LET'S BE AMERICANS AND SET THE EXAMPLE!!!! OUR PRIOR GENERATION WOULD BE DISGUSTED. LET US NOT BE POLITICALY CORRECT!

5. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Should ham radio not follow international law?

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a rational response. K9FV is on the right track this is about international law you could assert there is a political element but that does not change the law.

7. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

How exactly would you propose to do that?

Maybe we should suggest Kay call up Barrack and Vlad and tell them in no uncertain terms that their idiotic empire building and despotic antics are not going to be recognized, are futile in the extreme and will come to a very bad end. They must leave international borders as God intended and the DXCC Countries List has decreed. That goes for those ruffians in the Middle East as well.

Unfortunately, this swims against the stream of precedence as well as the considerable problem of making it stick. Vlad might well ask, "How many divisions does Kay have?"

8. VE3CKO

VE3CKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good decision. We should do the right thing as apposed to getting some points in some contest, this is a hobby. International law has been broken, people have lost their lives. Just because it's not in our back yard and there's a coward currently occupying the White House, doesn't mean we should just ignore the situation. Romney would never have allowed the circumstances to lead to Putin doing whatever the hell the wants. Sorry for getting political but if we don't follow international law then where does it stop.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

since when does the U.S. or the U.N. legally control these issues?

there was no law to this effect passed by the U.N. Russia would have vetoed it.

10. SA7ATK

SA7ATK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is complete new to me that the U.S. or the U.N. is in control of these issues . Agree with EI9JU , it's a disgraceful decision !

11. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it should be a private decision if a call shall be logged for them or not.

12. R2DAW

R2DAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Really upsetting news, especially knowing that CQ Magazine was hamradio popularizator for almost 70 years.
    And for thease who reffering to International law I would like to ask them - How about Kosovo?

13. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

"First, Article 2(4) of the U.N. Charter prohibits states from engaging in any threats or uses of force against other states."

14. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Per my own QRZ profile bio,maybe this is one of the reasons that ham radio is not my "hobby of choice."

Oh my! Did I say "hobby?"

Does anyone remember when this "hobby" was referred to as the Amateur Radio Service and the likes of this article wasn't left to...

Ya' know what? Never mind. Everyone have a great weekend and 73!

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't have time now to research all of the details but seems that amateur radio has a role when this group meets every so often to set forth regulations on an international basis. Could this be why CQ has rendered their decision based on their interpretation of these regulations. You can find this and more on the ITU site. "ITU (International Telecommunication Union) is the United Nations specialized agency for information and communication technologies-ICTs.) " Just as the owner of the ZED has the right to limit certain speech so does CQ have the right to set regulations for their contests all of the above aside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.