ad: portazero-1

Monongah Mine Disaster of 1907

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KC9HYY, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC9HYY

KC9HYY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On Dec 6, 1907 the Monongah Mine in West Virginia encountered an explosion in mine shaft #8 and #6, killing 362 individuals. To current date, the accident is the worst in the history of mining of the United States.

The mine was located six miles South of Fairmont, West Virginia. After several days of rescue attempts through treacherous conditions inside the mines, all efforts were re-directed to a recovery operation. It was later concluded that the explosion was caused by blasting powder that was stored in Mine #8.

Nathan, KC9HYY will be operating as KC9HYY/MMD from 12-5-14 0000Z to 12-7-14 2300Z as conditions permit in remembrance of the accident at Monongah Mine in Monongah, WV on Dec 6, 1907, which restructured the safety regulations and guidelines for Mining that exist to this day. Please listen on 10-40 meters in SSB and PSK31.

QSL’s can be sent Direct (SASE), EQSL, LOTW and Clublog to the following address:
    Nathan Banks
    ATTN: Monongah Mine SES
    PO Box 324
    Muskego, WI 53150
    USA

Any questions or comments about the event can be addressed to Nathan, KC9HYY at KC9HYY(@)arrl.net.

All QSL’s should be sent prior to Feb 1 2015 as QSL’s will be printed in the first week of Feb. Any cards mailed after Feb 1 will be responded to as supplies last.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Nathan!

I'll be looking forward to this.

Have you considered applying for a special event callsign?

3. KC9HYY

KC9HYY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Matt! I had considered a 1x1, but decided on using /MMD for Monongah Mine Disaster. It's tricky sometime with the 1x1's depending on when everyone looks for the QSL information and if it's still listed correctly on QRZ after the event! Hope to have you in the log book for the event! Maybe we can event add an AM QSO...

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes! Please! :D

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a week fo MSHA training at Fort Knox Mine here in Fairbanks, as a requirement to work on some radios out there. They had a great old movie on the disaster that they show at every session. EEEK!

6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I will most DEFINITELY be participating in this. I have a ton of family from that area dating back to before 1800. Thanks for doing this.

7. N3RZU

N3RZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine disaster

Being from Morgantown originally I have always been interested in this disaster. My dad was on mine rescue starting in the 1930s and have several pix of him at practice events at Riverside Park near Morgantown. Just finished MSHA training for a gold mine here in Arizona an spend sometime on weekends working special event stations. Good luck with operation.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.