ad: UR5CDX-1

Bill Sabin, W0IYH, Collins Engineer SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W0LPQ, Oct 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad news.

Bill retired before I became a Collins professional customer, so I never met him in person,
    but I remember the Cedar Rapids crew speaking highly of him.
    His books were well written and easy to follow.

We also had some correspondence in the mid
    90's about the 651S-1 and HF-8054.

A great man has left us. RIP

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Karl-Arne, Bill in person, was much the same as his books. I've seen personally in the labs, that if someone did not completely understand something, he would explain it to you. Takes a great person to be able to do that. He never raised his voice. He did not need to. You just listened and ... shortly understood what he was talking about. Numerous books, articles in QST and others. He loaned me his lab 651S over a holiday period, so I got to compare it with my 75S-3 for almost 2 weeks. What an experience.

4. AB4OJ/SK2024

AB4OJ/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

I am devastated to hear of Bill's passing. I never had the privilege of knowing him personally, but was a disciple of his for decades via his books and articles. I treasure Bill's masterly textbook "HF Radio Systems & Circuits" and frequently refer to it.

May Bill be forever inscribed in the Book of Life.

73, Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ

5. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I moved to Cedar Rapids (1989-1995), I had met Bill at hamfests and local meetings
    We had exchanged a few e-mails after I returned to Illinois/Chicago area.

In addition to his professional writing, what I remember was his quick wit.
    R.I.P.

w9gb

6. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

WILLIAM SABIN
    Cedar Rapids

William E. Sabin, 88, of Cedar Rapids, passed away Monday, Oct. 13, 2014, at Northbrook Manor Care Center

. Memorial Mass: 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 16, in Queen of All Saints Chapel at All Saints Catholic Church, Cedar Rapids, by the Rev. John R. Flaherty.

Visitation will be one hour before the service at the church. Inurnment will be at Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, Ohio. Arrangements are by Stewart Baxter Funeral & Memorial Services, Cedar Rapids.

Bill was born Aug. 1, 1926, in Covington, Ky., to Montgomery and Emma Householder Sabin.

Survivors include Ellen, his wife of 58 years; a son, Paul of Nashville, Tenn.; a son, James and his wife, Cindy, of San Marino, Calif.; a daughter, Janet and her husband, Steve Meyer, of Cedar Rapids; two granddaughters; six grandsons; and one great-grandchild.

During World War II, Bill enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served as a radio operator aboard both the USS Atlanta (CL-104) and her deck-mounted Grumman J2F "duck" plane. After the war, he flew over Hiroshima, Japan, and was able to observe the aftermath of the atomic bomb.

Bill was an avid, globally known ham radio operator, having received the call sign W9YFA in 1941 in Covington, Ky., at age 15. In 1964, his call sign was changed to W0IYH.

He attended evening classes at the University of Cincinnati College of Engineering while employed at General Electric. He and his family relocated to Cedar Rapids upon his employment at Collins Radio in 1964. He received his bachelor's degree in electrical engineering (with distinction) in 1973 and his master's degree in electrical engineering in 1976, both from the University of Iowa. Bill was a design engineer in the Advanced Technology department at Rockwell Collins from 1964, until his retirement in 1990.
    He was widely experienced in HF receiver and exciter design, synthesizer design, power supplies, spread spectrum techniques and digital design. He was the co-editor and contributing author of three books on Single-Sideband and HF radio.

Upon his retirement, he was the sole author of "Discrete Signal Analysis and Design," which was published by Wiley Publishing Company and is considered to be a leading work in this subject. He authored more than 40 technical articles as well as portions of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) handbook.

Bill was a registered professional engineer, a lifelong member of the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), life senior member of IEEE, and member of the ARRL DXCC Honor Roll. In 1983, he received the annual ARRL Technical Excellence Award.
    He was preceded in death by his father, Montgomery Sabin of Orlando, Fla.; his mother and stepfather, Emma and William Warren of Fort Thomas, Ky.; and his brother, Montgomery Jr. of Falls Church, Va.

Bill had a quick sense of humor. His family often said he could write for the late night comedians. He was intelligent, well-read and fully informed on current events. He thoroughly enjoyed and had a deep knowledge of classical music and was able to recognize a composition after hearing only a small portion of the opening movement. Two of his favorite quotes were, "Don't live your life like it is 1,000 years long" and "Never settle for mediocrity. Why play checkers when you can master chess?"
    73, Bill.

The family would like to thank Dr. Archer, Dan and Deanna at Mercy Health Partners; Dr. Frank at Mercy ER; Dr. Pham, Dr. Whitters and those staff of Mercy Medical Center 9th Floor; and those staff of Northbrook Manor for their care and concern. And special thank you to Hospice of Mercy - you truly are "Angels of Mercy!"
    Memorials are suggested to the Lewy Body Dementia Association in Lilburn, Ga., or Hospice of Mercy, Hiawatha.
    Please share your support and condolences with Bill's family on his celebration wall at www.stewartbaxter.com under obituaries.

Read more at http://thegazette.com/obituaries/william-sabin-20141014-0001045651-01#TLqRYqWHDo2zCzRh.99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.