ad: elecraft

Wanting to do a Mini-DXpedition

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KK4EYX, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4EYX

KK4EYX Ham Member QRZ Page

My girlfriend and I have been talking about taking a vacation to the Florida Keys (I live in the panhandle). The Dry Tortugas is located in the grid square EL84 which from what I am reading, is not commonly called from. I am a new General and just getting started in HF. Is it entirely possible to work a DXpedition with a portable and a laptop? Nothing big and fancy, just a way "how can I bring Amateur Radio in with my vacation" kind of deal. Thoughts/comments/criticism welcome.

2. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, whats your idea of portable? Probably QRP solar with a wire dipole would be the lightest weight setup. The most ideal antenna I suspect would be a vertical planted right on the water though. There is certainly no reason why you could not do it with a small radio and a lap top. You should check with the National Park Service to see what they have to say about it. Thorough planning will be key to your success.

3. GM6DX

GM6DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really....look at dx-peditions. Some are simply antenna, radio and small laptop for logging.... ok most use an amp for around 500w minimum. I would consider using a Vertical Dipole Array antenna. Similar to one used by TX6G, VP6T. These are simply a crabby / fishing pole with some wire. Placed around 1/4 wave from the water...happy days away you go. If you can't get a power source for your radio then it looks like solar power but expect QRP operating only.

VDA - Info can be found HERE

If you have access to a small amplifer KPA500 or similar that would be ideal. If not try to get a power source to get the 100w.

Billy
    GM0OBX

4. GM6DX

GM6DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

what type of radio do you have for portable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.