ad: Schulman-1

Parachute Mobile Sat Oct 11 over Byron CA with vacuum tube BC 611 HT on 3885 KHz AM

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AF6IM, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AF6IM

AF6IM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellow Mil Radio and AM Ops,

Working on a deployable long wire and tuning cap to get better radiated power than the stock BC 611 whip used last year.

Going to try to make the BC 611 jump between 2 and 3 PM on Sat Oct 11 but timing is highly variable due to the fact that tandem jumpers pay a couple of hundred dollars for their jump and licensed solo jumpers pay $24. The tandems get boarding priority, always. Aircraft will be a Beech King Air twin turboprop. I'd prefer a DC-3/C-47 but they are mostly gone from the skydiving scene.

If anyone wants real time email or phone text alerts regarding BC 611 jump time estimates send me your contact info. af6im@arrl.net

This is a unique opportunity for an unusual AM mil surplus QRP Parachute Mobile (or is it Portable?) QSO. We will have special QSL cards to commemorate contacts (and reception reports if any SWLs hear us)..

If you are within 125 miles or so of Byron CA try monitoring 146.430 FM. We will be making several VHF FM jumps throughout the day and using 146.430 simplex.

It's a long shot but if anyone has 5.8 GHz ATV rcv capability we have a 2 watt xmtr that sends live jumper video from aloft. We can provide frequency and polarization info if you contact me. We are still experimenting with different configs. Here is some ground reception footage from last weekend. parachute mobile 5 8 ghz test 9 28 14

A warm welcome awaits ham visitors to the DZ. Direction links below. We will be setting up around 10 AM and jumping all day, WX permitting. Free beer after last jump for anyone showing up with mil surplus gear that is used to work a jumper on 146.430 MHz FM or 3885 KHz AM.

I will jettison the long wire at about 1000 ft. Landing speeds are a bit fast and I don't want any chance of ground snags or power line contacts. Here is a video of one of my landings on Sept 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiiHs_OtGJA

From PACIFICON website: *************

The Pacificon 2014 Jump Team will arrive at the Byron, CA Drop Zone about 10:00am and the first jump is expected to be made be between 12:00pm and 1:00pm. They will make multiple jumps, weather permitting until 6:00pm. www.parachutemobile.com ;

QSTs regarding take off times and expected drop times will be announced on 146.430 simplex, 145.230 - 100 and 147.060 + 100. ("So folks know when the jumpers will be loading on the plane, when they leave the plane, and when they land.")

APRS data will load live on http://aprs.fi under the calls AF6IM and KF6WRW depending on which jumper is aloft

The jumpers are planning to send live video by both ATV and the Internet to ustream.tv/channel/mfwright.
    QSO’s will be on 146.430 simplex FM.

The Get ON The Air (GOTA) station will be on the patio outside the conference Main Hallway near the Parachute Mobile table.

Hams and their friends and family are welcome to visit the operation at the Drop Zone.
    Find directions at http://www.bayareaskydiving.com. **********

Mark Meltzer
    Jumper 1
    AF6IM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.