ad: Flexradio-1

How goTenna extends RF to the mainstream & adds to every Ham’s toolbelt

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD2HDN, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2HDN

KD2HDN Ham Member QRZ Page

goTenna is a totally new consumer RF product, in a world where innovation in the consumer RF world hasn’t really occurred since… the Second World War. As such, there’s a lot of misinformation on the web about what goTenna does and doesn’t do, and even what its intended purpose is among Ham radio operators.

goTenna seeks to make tried and true RF technology accessible from a usability perspective to mainstream consumers. In this sense, what goTenna truly seeks to do is expand the number of people who can communicate off-grid, directly point-to-point, much as amateur radio users—highly-technically skilled folks known as “Hams”—have done for years.

goTenna should be viewed as a tool, like Ham radio, that will widen the appeal and access to decentralized communication. goTenna doesn’t replace ham, and instead works alongside it to increase the user base and capabilities of the wildly practical and useful VHF spectrum.

I’m a Ham myself (callsign: KD2HDN), and it’s pretty interesting to note that goTenna gives users various features that are not readily available to Hams:

http://www.gotenna.com/blogs/blog/1...e-mainstream-amp-adds-to-every-ham-s-toolbelt

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on the fence on this one, have known about it for a while.

Do you foresee any interface with ham 2M HT gear? Or repeaters? I can envision a scenario where the gotennas get seeded all over and then relay to HT's or repeaters, thus extending this PS network.

Honestly: sounds cool, help us see the ham-tag. MO. If no ham tie in then isn't it a repeat of what we already do?

And fess up that you've been a ham for two+ weeks---have you got OTA yet:)?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry, but when I read this, I just see Echolink and IRLP with texting, but independent of the internet.

I like the idea its using RF, but other than that, I don't see any differences. You can send texts with APRS as well, its a pain to setup, and its probably not something I'd ever use APRS for, but still.

Maybe people will leap at it, and thats fine. If the internet ever dies, it would be a good additional path, but thats all I view it as.

But I don't really see a Ham Radio tie-in. It doesn't use, nor require, use of Ham Radio equipment or a Ham Radio. It interfaces with your phone.

4. KD2HDN

We are releasing an SDK in about two months (check it out here), so hams and everyone else can interface with what we've done already. We'd love to mesh long-range but current FCC regulations don't allow that. There's no physical reason why goTennas now couldn't mesh, but we're not allowed to!

73's

EDIT: added link

5. KD2HDN

We're not trying to replace any of that. We want to give access to VHF radio to those who aren't necessarily tech-savvy. If it's a pain to set up, non-technical users won't be able to figure it out.

6. N5WD

N5WD Ham Member QRZ Page

First time I've ever seen the 151-154 MHz band referred to as "long range".

KE7RUX likes this.
  7. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't need to be long-range provided there are enough goTennas forming a nice big mesh, and you're in range of one of the goTennas.

8. KD2HDN

If only the FCC let us mesh using VHF!

9. KD2HDN

VHF is relatively long-range compared to other bands consumers have access to (i.e. GMRS, FMRS, 900 Mhz, Wifi, etc)

10. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just "FRS" for cell phones, and you can't even send voice. It is a text or chat capable system. Somebody else has to have one, in range, for it to work. You would have to pre-download maps for the area you are in for the locations mapping to work. There are scant details on the application or how it works or what the UI looks like. If someone gave me a pair I may try them out. But I would not lay out $150 on my own.

11. KD2HDN

We chose to go with a text-based system because the vast majority (like 75%) of early testers preferred text to voice. Text is in many ways more reliable than voice, has no temporal importance, and is much easier for anyone that has impaired hearing. We sell them in pairs, so you know someone else will have one. There are a lot of screenshots on this page. And like I said earlier, we will be releasing an SDK in the next two months or so!

12. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am baffled. I see zero ham radio tie-in. I'll stick with my 2m/70cm handheld. And I was first licensed in 1960 which I feel gives me more perspective than KD2HDN. I'm not sure his 2 weeks into ham radio is really helping his cause.

13. W7OOG

W7OOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are trying to sling the wrong product on this site. :)

14. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I were a cynic, I might think that HDN got his license as a 'marketing tool'.

But me, a cynic? ha ha ha :p

15. M0RFU

M0RFU Ham Member QRZ Page

Also claims that you can take it travelling should be backed up with a list of places it is legal to use.

For example here in the UK the frequencys listed are allocated to amongst others the Emergency Services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.