ad: Radclub22-1

Astronauts Coleman and Wiseman to Speak at Clinton Global Initiative Meeting 09/24

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6LCS, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

NASA Astronauts to Speak to Clinton Global Initiative Meeting Attendees from International Space Station

NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman, a flight engineer with Expedition 40 currently aboard the International Space Station, and Expedition 26/27 NASA astronaut Cady Coleman will speak with former President Bill Clinton during the closing session of the 2014 Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting in New York at 4:10 p.m. EDT Wednesday, Sept. 24.

The event will be broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

Wiseman and Coleman will discuss the immense value in observing Earth from space, as well as the benefits of conducting such research with a diverse, international team.

The Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) convenes global leaders to create and implement solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges. CGI Annual Meetings have brought together more than 180 heads of state, 20 Nobel Prize laureates, and hundreds of leading CEOs, heads of foundations and NGOs, major philanthropists, and members of the media.

Wednesday's event comes a week after NASA selected The Boeing Company and SpaceX for groundbreaking contracts to transport U.S. crews to and from the International Space Station from the United States with a goal of ending the nation’s sole reliance on Russia in 2017. The U.S. missions to the space station following NASA certification of these new commercial systems will allow the station's current crew of six to grow, enabling the crew to conduct more research aboard the unique orbiting laboratory.

NASA monitors Earth's vital signs from land, air and space with a fleet of satellites and ambitious airborne and ground-based observation campaigns. NASA develops new ways to observe and study Earth's interconnected natural systems with long-term data records and computer analysis tools to better see how our planet is changing. The agency shares this unique knowledge with the global community and works with institutions in the United States and around the world that contribute to understanding and protecting our home planet.

For more information on Earth science activities aboard the space station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/issearthscience

For more information about NASA's Earth science activities in 2014, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/earthrightnow

For NASA Television downlink information, scheduling information and streaming video, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

-end-

2. W6RAD

W6RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

OH MY GOD, They drank the cool aid.

3. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

It's Kool-Aid. :)

This is interesting and probably far less to do with anyone's politics and far more to do with promoting the reasons why being in space is critical to both America and humanity. In short, these two were probably directed by NASA to be there.
    Space based observation has been a boon to increasing our knowledge of the earth and worth every penny we've invested and then some.

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

"NASA monitors Earth's vital signs from land, air and space with a fleet of satellites and ambitious airborne and ground-based observation campaigns. NASA develops new ways to observe and study Earth's interconnected natural systems with long-term data records and computer analysis tools to better see how our planet is changing. The agency shares this unique knowledge with the global community and works with institutions in the United States and around the world that contribute to understanding and protecting our home planet."

True, so they can monitor their Stratospheric Aerosol GeoEngineering program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsYG5emdZp8#t=44

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  5. K6LCS

One of my favorite of her "projects" - although not ham-radio-related - was Cady
    Coleman KC5ZTH and Ian Anderson performing their "Space Flute Duet" -
    http://k6lcs.com/Tull.html

And Reid Wiseman graciously worked Field Day as NA1SS this past June ... here's my
    contact with him that Saturday morning (using 2 Watts TX power and a $15 home-brew
    tape measure beam) - http://work-sat.com/ISS-062814.html - DOZENS of contacts
    were made by Wiseman that weekend!

Their participation in this Global Initiative Meeting - their enthusiasm and dedication - can
    only benefit the future of space exploration.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha

i for one am really glad that Boeing and Spaceex will ferry U.S. and other nationalities to the ISS.

Regardless of the Climate debate one thing stands out here in Hawaii ie the thinness of Earth's atmosphere.

At the summit of Maui's 10,000 ft Haleakala Volcano the air is noticeably thinner.

At the summit of the Big Island's Mauna Kea Volcano ( 13,803 ft ) it is even more so. See my QRZ.com Pix.

From the ISS our atmosphere looks like a thin orange peel.

E Malama Ika Aina / E Malama Ika Kai

KH6/G3SEA

7. W6RAD

W6RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks AA9G, I wasn't sure of the spelling, it's been 55 years since I drank the Cool-aid, OOPS, I mean KOOL-AID..... Just kidding, I thought I would get the ball rolling on the post.
    Have a good one.

Jim

8. KV4VT

KV4VT Ham Member QRZ Page

NASA personnel should never be allowed to lobby for Clinton Initiatives (or any other political initiatives).

BAD! SAD!

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that link, it was quite good!

10. K6LCS

>> ... NASA personnel should never be allowed to lobby for Clinton Initiatives (or any other political initiatives).

This just tells us that you have no idea what the former president's mission is. Which is fine - just wish you had performed a little independent research before posting misinformation.
    Nothing "political" per se - all humanitarian goals. You know - like projects to save the planet ... that kind of stuff ...

11. W6ERM

W6ERM Ham Member QRZ Page

This has to do with the advancement of Ham Radio, how?

12. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no sign over the door that says every post is to be about radio.
    But since you asked, one could argue that the two astronauts are promoting the use of satellites and the ISS to benefit earth observation. Hams work the ISS and our own set of satellites. If the space program went away we would lose this. If the space program is vigorous and well funded we will probably gain satellites to work.

13. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't! It has everything to do with " someone's" political agenda!

14. WA1QKT

WA1QKT Guest

Well, let's see. First, Cady Coleman KC5ZTH is the most famous ham that I know of; I have seen many worldwide television broadcasts of her onboard the Space Station. Secondly, as far as I am concerned, she is an American hero for her professional work, as is Wiseman, and as are all of the NASA astronauts who have gone to space. Furthermore, from what I have seen, Coleman deliberately works to promote interest in science and engineering in youth and general public; this is highly relevant to amateur radio's struggle to recruit younger folks into the hobby. Finally, as was posted above, Wiseman is also a ham who made "DOZENS of contacts" from the ISS during Field Day 2014! It is most unfortunate that political fanatics in political camps analogous to those of the "Red Sox vs. the Yankees" sports camps would disparage the work of these two exceptional Americans - who also just happen to be amateur radio operators. Kudos to both Coleman and Wiseman.

Bob Dickerman WA1QKT

15. NM0O

NM0O Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any lobbying occurring anywhere. I see astronauts desirous of making a positive difference in the future we all must share.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.