ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Saves the Day Again – Yukon Canada

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE3XU, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3XU

VE3XU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio Saves the Day Again – Yukon Canada

Last Sunday September 21, 2014, at approx. 21:00hrs PST, VY1MAP (Terry Hauff) called on the local 2 meter repeater -146.880- looking for VY1RF (Ray Fugard).
    Terry VY1MAP wanted Ray VY1RF to make a phone call for him as he was not in cell phone range. The situation was that Terry is a member of the local S.A.R. team and they were on an active search for a missing teenager. The command center they had setup was approx 35kms north of Whitehorse YK at Lake Laberge. The satellite phone that they were to use was not functioning so they had no way to call for assistance, additional resources or send status reports.

Thats where, once again, amateur radio comes in. Terry, being a ham, goes out to his vehicle and makes contact with Whitehorse via 2 meter amateur radio with VY1RF and VY1RM (Ron McFadyen). They were able to pass important traffic to/from the command center.
    The missing young man was found and all ended well.

This is the second time in as many months that amateur radio and in particular Y.A.R.A.’s members and infrastructure proved invaluable in an emergency situation.
    “Whether it’s a natural disaster, major weather event, planned community event, missing person search, we (at RAC) receive numerous reports of amateur radio interventions when traditional communication systems fail. Ham radio is most certainly still relevant and provides a crucial communications back-up option, often in challenging/dire situations.” - says Vincent Charron VE3XU, Director of Communications RAC.

(Thanks to Mark Bowers VY1MAB for submitting information)

Weblink: http://wp.rac.ca/ham-radio-saves-the-day-again-yukon-canada/

2. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great work, all!! I hear about quite a few of these incidents where ham radio ops have helped save a lost or injured hiker, or a child who wandered off, especially now living in Central OR where Search & Rescue and ham radio have such a prominent presence. A shame we can't get more of this kind of news out to the general public.
    Very 73, all...Joe

3. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Done! Thanks for posting this. Always good to hear a happy ending and it's icing on the cake that ham radio was involved in a very positive way.

73 de Ray
    W7ASA ..._ ._

4. N5RTG

N5RTG Guest

Way to go YARA! We were in Yukon and AK in Aug/Sep 2012 and had great time working the linked repeaters provided and maintained by YARA. Lots of hard work to support SAR, special events, and travelers' assistance (plus a great connection for the members of YARA). Great folks, great system. Thanks to the Whitehorse bunch of hams.

5. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the good report! People so often ask me, "What good is ham radio nowadays with cell phones everywhere?" This news story is a good example. Another benefit, that is often not emphasized, but which made my kids stop and think, is that with ham radio, especially HT's, contact is "instant" (you don't have to wait for the phone to dial out) and many can listen to the traffic, rather than having to send a group text or something similar. In the end, when infrastructure is not available for whatever reason, we (hams) can usually get through, whether on a 2m system or via HF radio.

6. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W7CDP

W7CDP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great job. I'm sure HF is also needed at times up there. Spend quit a bit of time in Alaska and communications is a challenge at times. I wouldn't tromp around up there any more with out my HT or something in the ham variety.

8. N0XAX

N0XAX Ham Member QRZ Page

When no one else can communicate, hams will be communicating! And my boss said that ham radio was an old technology that had no relevance? All he was doing was putting his ignorance on display! Nice job guys! Once again, ham radio shows its importance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.