ad: CQMM-1

WA State "Salmon Run" QSO Party - post your results!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W7UUU, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Best Salmon Run ever for me. We rented a very nice cabin right on the Columbia river - the water was
    only about 30 or 40 feet from the deck. Put up a low G5RV (full size) - about 25 feet to the apex hoping
    for NVIS and we got it! Testing much of Friday afternoon and well into dark, with tweaks to the antenna
    height and such, pretty much confirmed we were getting a great pattern. Skamania County was the "rare
    one" last year - but there were several of us this time around. Anne got kinda skunked on 2m - she had
    her rig on the deck with a small beam aimed at Hoodsport, Gresham, Portland, Vancouver, etc. - but
    we only had a SINGLE Salmon Run contact on 2m - just not a lot of activity there.

I set my own goal of a "clean sweep" (39 counties) and 300 QSOs and hit the mark 2.5 hours before
    the contest ended!

Stats:

300 QSOs
    32,400 score
    39 Counties "Clean Sweep"
    15 States
    W7DX bonus x 2 (80 + 40) for a final score of 33,400

It was a lot of fun - LOTS of really good operators out there. Very cool that my very last QSO
    was with Jim, K7WA, who was just at our last club meeting doing a presentation on Salmon Run.
    I am the Programs Manager at the W7DK club and had invited Jim in to talk about the QSO party,
    and it just seemed fitting that my final QSO was with him, from what turned out to be the
    rarest county this time 'round - Ferry (Douglass not far behind).

For those who participated, thanks for all the QSOs and all the great operators!!

So post 'em up - I didn't work it all that hard and quit early - let's see your results.

LOTS of fun!

My BEST QSO of the event: This morning I was tuning around 75 meters and heard a couple guys
    talking - one says "I've been a ham for 42 years and I've never once heard a Skamania County
    ham on the air much less worked one" - and at that point I jumped in and said "Well, today's the
    day! You're 59++ in Skamania County" - I think he might have fallen out of his chair he was so
    happy. He can now finally apply for his "worked all WA Counties award" after all these years :)

The other really fun one: A guy called me on 40 and asked if I could QSY to 20 to work his friend
    in New Jersey - Skamania was his holdout for "Clean Sweep" - and we pulled it off with no problem.
    He was VERY excited! So I got to have TWO very memorable contacts!

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    N7ANN likes this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked a few 7's but missed you Dave. Congrats on 39 Counties "Clean Sweep"!! Way better than I did.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah but you're WAY farther away too!

I did work a lot of the W7DK club members as well as the club station - and a fair number of QRZ folks as well!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  4. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Got 1 total.

But I wasn't here much this weekend at the radio either.

Looked like a lot of them were being spotted but I only heard a few. Nice pileups on them though.

5. W7UUU

Goofed up my screen cap image.... too late to edit

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

N7ANN likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Results posted to 3830, as always.

7. W7UUU

Here's the "shack" - just got photos into the computer. SO awesome!!! What a great place.

Dave
    W7UUU

Attached Files:

N7ANN likes this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Dave

Nice to work you...

the club station: W7DK made a clean sweep also. Not too sure of the total "Q's"... It must be well over 1k since checked last nite and it was well over 800 then.

At any rate, we made our goal and then some. Put some of the new folks on the radio, and they (collectively) had a blast! It was so good for some of them that
    we practically had to pry them away from the radio, and they were all back today for the final run!

A good time was had by all.

73 Gary

9. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had fun this year I worked all counties except Jefferson what happen to Jefferson County I don't really have a 80 meter antenna set up just a cheap mobile vertical I was able to make some points on 80 next year I well have a better antenna for 80,and might be a rover. I was going to do it this year but I had to work.

I got 16,430 points( I think)
    the best I ever had in any contest

10. N5OCO

N5OCO Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't able to make to many QSO's this year, but I have an excuse with a new son at home. I did see WW7D/m drive right past my house on his way to the Okanogan/Ferry county lines. I am sure he just came from the Grant/Douglas line and just before that the Grant/Lincoln line. I am within a few short miles of four other counties besides my own here. Next year I will have to do some /p or /m operating.

11. WA7PRC

According to 3830Scores, I'm still holding 2nd place in "SOMixed LP" (Single Op, Mixed Mode, Low Power). And I'm 4th overall... so far. No Salmon for me. :-/

12. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was great to work Ewe on at least two bands, maybe 3. I logged about 170 Q's and achieved a Clean Sweep for the 1st time! I only had about 15 hours of Chair Time and the uncorreted log says just shy of 17K points.
    What a GREAT place to have your portable shack!

13. W7UUU

Thanks for the Q's as well! It was really beautiful there - I slid the desk over so I could see out
    the window the whole time - had all 5 windows and 3 doors open and there was a 20 MPH east
    wind coming down the river - 78 degrees - really nice. And yes, it was my 1st clean sweep
    as well. Got a little concerned about Ferry at the end - but W7WA and the other guy (who had
    just driven in from Lincoln) saved the day around noon on Sunday

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  14. AC7DC

AC7DC Ham Member QRZ Page

My deal for setting up on the second highest point in Columbia County fell through, so I had to set up in Dayton at the Fairgrounds. That town has a lot of rf noise and I was only able to work 40 and 80 bands. I still had a great time and this is my favorite radio contest.

I made only 243 contacts and I too missed Jefferson County. I made a few CW contacts and I thank you guys who were sending out at 30WPM to slow down to 10WPM for me. Matter of fact one guy slowed all the way down to 5WPM.... yes I get the point, I need to get my speed up.

I talked to the guys at K7SEL in Whitman County and they made a tonne of contacts on CW. I think they will make the top five in the club category this year.

N7ZUF

15. WA7PRC

According THE contest results posting forum (3830Scores) I'm STILL in 2nd place in SOMixed LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.