ad: Radclub22-1

Brazil proposes 5275 kHz to 5450 kHz international allocation for Amateur Service

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2ZX, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PY2ZX

PY2ZX Ham Member QRZ Page

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The National Telecommunications Agency of Brazil (Anatel in Portuguese) will propose new Amateur Service allocation from 5275 to 5450 kHz in the next meeting of the PCC.II (Permanent Consultative Committee II: Radiocommunications) of CITEL (Inter-American Telecommunication Commission), from September 29 to October 4, 2014 at Merida City, Mexico. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The new allocation in secondary status for Amateur Service around 5300 kHz has been discussed since 2012 as agenda item 1.4 of the World Radiocommunication Conference 2015 (WRC-15 by International Telecommunications Union - ITU), while since 2002 the band is subject of various authorized experimental transmissions did by amateurs around the world. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The decision occurred last September 11, 2014 at the Brazilian Communications Commissions (CBC in Portuguese), a consultative committee for WRC-15 subjects lead by Anatel and formed by government, industry and representatives of the society.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

LABRE
    , the Brazilian Amateur Radio Association, is one of the very active members of CBC through your ad-hoc working group devoted to Spectrum Defense and Management (GDE in Portuguese). The LABRE suggestions were approved at CBC and will constitute a Preliminary Proposal for CITEL. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The 5275-5450 kHz contiguous secondary allocation is the widest segment recently suggested by compatibility and sharing studies at ITU, but the Preliminary Proposal will also consider national adaptations since it will include a footnote where is described that each national administration can provide additional constrains to provide further compatibility with existed services, considering their national and local spectrum realities, for example taking effective by their national regulations lower power outputs levels, selections of specific modes, adoptions of restricted frequency segments or channels, etc. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Despite Canada and Brazil being the first countries in Region 2 to officially support Amateur Service around 5300 MHz, several others already have authorized domestic allocations considering past successful experiments. LABRE is working with Anatel to provide experimental licensees and also join the international activities and keep studying the spectrum.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The LABRE/GDE presentation at Anatel/CBC is available at GDE´s library weblink.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

The GDE working group of LABRE not only involves spectrum management field, but also radio monitoring and national EMC rulemaking process. LABRE Sao Paulo and voluntaries are regularly supporters for keep the institutional activities. For more informations visit: http://www.radioamadores.org[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GDE/LABRE, September 13, 2014.[/FONT] [/FONT]

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Go Brazil!!! A 175 kHz band here would be a great addition.

3. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an idea whose time is far late in its coming. Should have been done a long time ago.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, remember that FCC tried to give us a 'band' there, but NTIA said 'no', and what we have is a compromise between 'no' and 'not much'. I'm not sure how much an ITU designation of this as a secondary allocation for amateurs with lots of exceptions would actually help that much, but it's probably a step in the right direction. NTIA could still say 'no' for U.S. hams, but if neighboring countries say 'yes', it will be harder for them to do that. Government has claimed that 5 MHz spectrum since at least WWII, and will probably continue to be in no hurry to abandon it.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

the 60 meter band allocations, mode and power levels for U.S. amateurs should NOT be changed at all.

6. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

A 175 Khz band sure beats the heck out of 5 channels! What can we do to help the effort?

7. PY2ZX

Hello ND6M: "the Preliminary Proposal will also consider national adaptations since it will include a footnote where is described that each national administration can provide additional constrains to provide further compatibility with existed services, considering their national and local spectrum realities, for example taking effective by their national regulations lower power outputs levels, selections of specific modes, adoptions of restricted frequency segments or channels, etc". 73!

8. PY2ZX

Hi Jim, contact the national Amateur Radio Associations. They could be working with national administrations like FCC discussing these subjects, so they can consider support the proposal toward an IAP. 73!

9. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Reasons please?

10. PS7DX

PS7DX Guest

11. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

The Caribbean needs a 60 meter -- 5.250 to 5.450 MHz All mode band .....

In the Southern Caribbean,

1) Barbados has an allocation of 5.250 to 5.400 MHz, USB @ 100 watts PEP.

2) Trinidad and Tobago has an allocation of 5.250 to 5.450 MHz, All Mode, 1500 watt PEP assigned on a secondary basis.

3) The OECS countries under the regional ECTEL regulator is still to finalise its spectrum assignment. In Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, the local Amateur Radio Club has made representation to its local regulator, NTRC to have privileges along the same precedent as established by Trinidad and Tobago. We are patiently awaiting word.

Currently we use 80m mainly nighttime and 40m mainly daytime for En-Comm and WX nets. Favourable short skip propagation between the islands is a great concern. The allocation of 60m for the islands is extremely important. It is very likely that both daytime and nighttime communications can be favourably had on the one band. Given the vulnerability of the islands to (torrential rain, storm, and hurricane) weather impact and other natural (earthquake, tsunami and volcanic) events, I am very pleased to see Brazil's strong move in the Hemisphere of the Americas. I wish it every success.

Kumar_J85K

12. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in Brazil many years and my first contact with hams was with PY8GD and PY8GN, now long deceased. But they are still fresh on my mind as good memories.

The USA has often been the leader in what is later accepted by many of the hams around the world. IF Brazilian Hams achieve the creation of a new band like this one and we follow suit in the acceptance of it, it will indeed be a good thing.

I am a frequent listener and user of 60 Meters and know it is a hot area for many hams. The majority of modern radios can use this new band with little or no problem and it would in turn create more interest in Ham Radio.

During particular hours of the day/night, the band would be a real challenge or a real achievement as to propagation and communication. Also, it falls into a very useful spectrum choice for communicators like us. I look forward to its becoming a new band option, speaking as an opitimist. My FT-450, like many other radios, should have no problem with it and the band entry point can be added as a memory selection just like I did with the channels on 60 Meters.

As for antennas, I use a TTFD antenna (B&W design) and it works very well between 160M and 10M and, to some degree, on 6M. But the G5RV Junior is an excellent receive antenna on many frequencies, including 60M. But a dedicated antenna for this, if accepted as a new band, will be no harder than putting up a shortened 40M dipole or just placing fan-like shorter sections on a 40M dipole.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  13. K1BXI

K1BXI Ham Member QRZ Page

"But a dedicated antenna for this, if accepted as a new band, will be no harder than putting up a shortened 40M dipole or just placing fan-like shorter sections on a 40M dipole."

You might want to change "shortend" and "shorter" to "lengthend" and "longer". But your right, a simple 1/2 wave dipole is as easy as it gets.........as long as you make it the right length.

14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

You're indeed right. Thanks for the correction: Longer wavelength = longer elements.

15. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

If we want more frequencies in the new 60 meter band, our first priority is to generate more activity on the band. When it is seen that we use it, more spectrum will follow. I have made only 1 or 2 QSO's on the band due to inactivity on the band in the evening. Put aside an hour or so and get on the band. Call CQ, and be heard. It is amazing how far you can transmit on a clear frequency. Try it ! Put up a dipole, we can use 100 watts now. I hope to hear you on 60 meters tonight. 73 BOB N2MDA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.