ad: Flexradio-1

Wisconsin Ham falls from tower and dies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Wisconsin Ham falls from tower and dies

James G. Linstedt W9ZUC of Eau Clair, Wisconsin died Tuesday evening from injuries he sustained when he fell 95 feet from a ham tower in Eagle Point, just outside of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.

Linstedt, age 59, is reported to have had extensive experience climbing and working on towers. He also was reported to have been wearing an over the shoulder safety harness, but was not tied off while working on the 100 ft. tower at the home of Ronald Anderson W9RMA, located on the shore of Lake Wissota.

Linstedt was a member of the Chippewa Valley Amateur Radio Club

John N7UR
    Original story at: Nevada Amateur Radio Newswire

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Join us on Facebook

2. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well crap. :( Very sorry to hear this and heartfelt condolences to his family and fellow club members that knew him.

3. K2JBC

K2JBC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sad! So sorry to hear of this tragic accident involving one Ham helping another. My condolences to James' family and friends.

4. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd do an autopsy, he might have had a heart attack. Otherwise the tower owner (W9RMA) may have to sell the farm after the lawyers start surrounding the place.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a very good idea....

6. N5SDO

N5SDO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Condolences to all the families and friends involved.

Another tragic reminder. Rule No. 1 : Always remember to safety off.

Double lanyards with big safety hooks attached to the D ring between the shoulders are double safe and allow 100% tie off and maneuverability at all times while climbing.

7. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This shows even experienced climbers make mistakes and have accidents.

8. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is probably why I will never have one, and if I do, I'd hire someone commercial with insurance. I'm scared of heights, and I'd feel beyond bad if someone trying to help me out had something like this happen.

Very sad. Towers are nice, but if I work on it myself, would have to be tilt over.

Probably something he enjoyed doing as well. Some people are just wired for it. Me, no way.

RIP SK.

9. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aw, damn. RIP and condolences to the family. :(

Very sad, but probably very true...

10. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad news again, and another reminder of the need for 100% concentration and care when climbing.

I always have two attachment points in trees. A climbing/safety line and a positioning lanyard, and NEVER unclip one without checking the other is secure. But I've seen plenty who climb with one attachment point, and who will hand on 60+ feet in the air while they unclip to reposition it!

11. WK9U

WK9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly correct. two decades of climbing commercial towers on this end. Too bad we don't have all the details but regardless. Terrible news to hear :-(

12. KE6ENI

KE6ENI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why a crane/bucket truck is a better option in my opinion, does it cost more yes, but what is someone's life worth?

13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

For gods sake people please, please be careful and never compromise safety for the sake of convenience out there. Im sorry to say it but a shoulder type harness just doesn't cut it.

Always use OSHA standard safety equipment with a full body fall arrest system every single time. Never make an exception. Ever! !!

I feel bad this happened but others are right. Even the most experienced climbers can fall to the ground in exactly the same way as non experienced climbers.

Well yes, I do suppose that's enough of that. I would like to express my great sorrow and deepest sympathies to the family for this tragic event.

14. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's what I've done. I can crank my antennas down to 25 feet or so but even that is plenty high enough to kill. I've climbed up that far on the tower to work on things but now just find renting a bucket truck much easier and safer.

........Bob

15. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad. Tim K3LR posted this to the Tower Talk email reflector on Wednesday, with a link to a short report.

My crankup/tiltover tower makes it so ALL antenna/tower work is performed with both feet on the ground. NO climbing or inconvenient & costly bucket lift is needed.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.