ad: Radclub22-1

SPRATLY ISLANDS(1S0,9M4.etc) --SOON TOO HOT FOR DX?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a close call back in '79 too with the N2OO group. They retreated then but apparently were able to activate it twice since from the comfort of a resort on Layang Layang Island, claimed and defended by Malaysia.

http://www.qsl.net/n2oo/history/index.sht3

Oh, and then the 9M4SLL op's last couple of years too.

But, how long will that last?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  5. N6EB

N6EB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spratly Is. was activated by the Borneo Amateur Radio Club Mar29-Apri 3, 1995 as 9M0A of which I have a QSL.
    73 Dick N6EB

6. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

There were 2 or 3 UK guys that operated there sometime last year or so. They used a 9M call. I worked them on 20 and 15 cw, and thought I had a 40m cw QSO, but not the case :(

Since the the island group is so large and because there are several countries that claim them, as long as the ARRL accepts the documentation for the operation, it does not matter what the call is.

7. VA2IG

VA2IG Ham Member QRZ Page

under the international laws, the Spartlys archipelago lies on 3 dxcc borders ! I cant believe that these 3 countries will be on state of war same time for an unexplored gaz possibility submarine site ! there is a gaz on almost all parts of the world; but is it profitable enough ? for now its just rumours....

8. ZL4YY

ZL4YY Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the gas was discovered in the Paracels area, up north.
    The two subjects are related however, as both archipelagos historically belongs to Viêt-Nam and are unilaterally claimed by China.
    Paracels are occupied totally by China after they attacked the vietnamese positions in the 70s.
    Spratlys are occupied by Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei. All but China agreed about a status-quo and sat around a table to find a pacific issue.

Yan - XV4Y.

9. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if someone decides to exploit the gas find, they are going to need someone to extract it and get it to market.

Hopefully there will be some hams amongst those workers who can put some RF into a wire on their off time?

10. HB9AAP

HB9AAP Ham Member QRZ Page

11. K9CJ

K9CJ Ham Member QRZ Page

9m4sll operated from there in march of 2013. It counted for spratly for DXCC.

12. AB6ST

AB6ST Ham Member QRZ Page

13. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure could use them on CW . I have SSB and RTTY :)
    Dave N8DC

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing them safe travels!

Hope to work them.

Chip W1YW

15. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked 9M0L 2 years and they counted for Spratley Islands QSO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.