ad: CQMM-1

HG25PANEU Remembers the Picnic that Changed History

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by HA1DEL, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. HA1DEL

HA1DEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear YLs and OMs,

Let me inform you about the callsign HG25PANEU. The special event station will operate during August and September 2014, remembering the Pan-European Picnic and Border Breakthrough in 1989 by members of Radioclub HA1KSS. The event, which occured 25 years ago near Sopron, Hungary, although began as a peaceful reunion of neighbour villages on both sides of the Austrio-Hungarian border, became a historic turning point, when hundreds of East German refugees camping in Hungary spontaneously appeared, and used the temporarily opened border to escape from the Eastern Bloc towards Austria and eventually West Germany – thus starting the “Autumn of Change” in 1989.
    Info, Updates and QSL: QRZ.com/db/HG25PANEU

[​IMG]
    The moment of breakthrough. Photo by Tamas Lobenwein

73 de HA1DEL

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great photo! My girlfriend was living in West Berlin on the night of November 9, 1989 and vividly remembers the unexpected swarm of Trabbies and merry people from the east side flooding through the streets, LOL!

I believe that was a Thursday night, the middle of the week, which would be an odd day for a picnic. What was the precise day of the PANEU event? Was in on the 9th as well, or the following week end?

Will be looking for your signal on-the-air.

73 de John W0PV

3. HA1DEL

Dr OM John,

Many thanks for your Feedback. It was a calm Saturday afternoon on 8/19/1989, when the Picnic happened (I left it out fm the text above, sorry for that).

You may also be interested in special station DQ25GRENZE, run by German HAMs and celebrating German reunification. You can also look for them on the airwaves.

Hope to meet on the air.

73 DX de HA1DEL op. Laci

4. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was up on the inter-German border on Reunification Day at a listening post close enough to the fence to be able to see the East German border guards walking their dogs along the fence-line.

5. HA1DEL

Dear OM Richard,

Thanks for your post - these are the historic memories we would like to remember too.

73 DX de HA1DEL op. Laci

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.