ad: QSLWorks-1

SO2R set up advice needed - MW0EDX / MW5R

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by EA8DIG, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. EA8DIG

EA8DIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks,

I have been trying to understand what equipment exactly I need in order to create a simple SO2R station, but still not sure.

Can you advise me on the exact equipment I need for SO2R ?

What I have is:

TX: 2 x Icoms
    PC: 2 x PCs
    Software: Yes (Win-Test, N1MM etc)
    Antenna RUN: DB18E+Inverted 160 m + Inverted L 80 m. Antenna MULT: Cushcraft R8 (40-10 m)

I understand that I need a band decoder and BPF filters and a device that controls the antennas and TXs switching. I want to run off 2 PCs - much easier to control, no need to use such additional controllers as MicroHam etc.

So what exactly do I need for a basic SO2R ?

Thanks,

Anton Koval
    MW0EDX & MW5R
    m0edx@yahoo.com

2. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't need 2 PCs. N1MM and I believe Win Test allow you to switch between radios. I'm not familiar with Win-Test so I don't know how to set it up. You can set up N1MM where there are 2 band maps - one for each radio. If I were you, and if you don't have one, I would get a wide screen monitor. That way, you can have more windows open, especially with the 2 bandmaps.

The idea of SO2R is to be able to put any antenna on any radio (or, any radio on any antenna). Another option, which you have suggested is to use a "main" antenna and a "mult" antenna. So, your primary will be the DB18E. That should go on the the radio you like "the best" or is a better radio (assuming the two ICOM's are not the same).

Band decoders make things easier in that you never have to remember to switch antennas. I assume you have the radios interfaced to the PC. Most band decoders can be configured for any antenna farm. So, using the DB18E for 40/20/15/10, the inverted V (or L) for 160, and the inverted L for 80, you configure the band decoder for that combination. There are several band decoders, but I use Top Ten Devices stuff.

You did not mention amplifiers, and if you are not using them, it will make things easier in terms of RFI between stations, and the ability to hear on another harmonically related band (160 and 80, 80 and 40, 40 and 20, 40 and 15, 20 and 10). The serious SO2R (and multi-ops) use the W3NQN bandpass filters. You can probably get away with a set of ICE bandpass filters - if you can find them. If you do end up using amplifiers, you will probably find second harmonics (and possably 3rd and 4th!) on the higher bands. These can sometimes be attenuated or eliminated with the use of specific trap filters that are placed with a T directly at the amplifier output.

You will also need a way of switching between stations, which also inhibits you from transmitting 2 signals at the same time. Top Ten Devices has a ABSS (A/B Station Selector) that does this.

You will also need a way to switch transmit audio (for SSB) and keying (for CW) between radios, and also for receive audio. The serious SO2R guys typically use a 3 way switch. The switch is mounted sidways, such that, when the switch is switched to the left, transmit audio (and keying) is sent to the left radio. When the switch is switched to the right, transmit audio (and keying) is sent to the right radio. When the switch is set to the middle, the audio from the left radio is in your left ear, and the audio from the right radio is in your right ear (transmit audio and keying are sent to the "primary" radio in that case - or not at all).

Since we are getting close to contest season, you might not have a lot of time to get things ready before CQWW SSB. What
    I would suggest is to see how far you can get things set up for SO2R before CQWW SSB. If you have things running, then go with the configuration, and see how you do. You may find limitation or things that you'll have to "fix," but that is normal. I would also suggest that you operate smaller contests (WAE, AA, etc) to continue to develop working SO2R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.