ad: Retevis-1

TV Show The Last Ship using ham radio?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WF3J, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WF3J

WF3J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In tonight's episode of The Last Ship on TNT, members of the ships Captain Chandler's family were using what appears to be an old ham radio and after making some repairs to it, one of the characters called out as W6ABH and was trying to make contact with the ship's captain. The call sign does not exist, but did anyone else notice this and do you think it is ham radio being used in this show? It is the number 1 rated drama of the summer, and would certainly be giving ham radio some good press if it is.

2. KK4PGH

KK4PGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw that also.

Looks like a Heathkit or an old yaesu.

I thought is was pretty cool, but nothing overly awesome. Many folks associate survival comms with ham radio so no surprise

3. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I saw it too. They've played some snippets of what was supposed to be ham radio traffic from the combat information center (?) on other episodes. I really like that show. It's already been renewed for at least another season.

4. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was calling on 14.440

5. KC1BLE

KC1BLE Ham Member QRZ Page

I also watch this show and understand why its ratings are so high. There have been several references to amateur radio throughout the season. I'm sure some may catch on to the importance of the hobby should Armageddon ever strike, but I suppose most will just pass it off. My guess is he was operating a FT-101.

Tune in next week for the exciting season finale!

6. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've watched it also. Pretty interesting show.

7. G1ZQC

G1ZQC Ham Member QRZ Page

It is definitely a Yaesu, possibly a 101. Amateur radio will always be a mainstay for emergency communications, due to its portability ETC.
    Yes a very good show. I use a Torrent site to get the episodes.
    73 G1ZQC.

8. PY3IT

PY3IT Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like a old Yaesu FT-101.

W6ABH: http://hamcall.net/call/W6ABH:1969

ARCHIVE CALLSIGN. This is not current data.
    From the 1969 HamCall Archives:
    [SIZE=+1]Loudon F Gingery, W6ABH:1969[/SIZE]

9. WD0FVV

WD0FVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Without a doubt it was a Yeasu FT-101. Interesting when the back of the radio was shown the fan was not operating...a common case with 101's and newer. It's a great series, a little bit out of band although, but, what the heck, any frequency in an emergency.

10. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't want to "interfere" with 14.313

11. G1ZQC

G1ZQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the fan was not turning. I am also curious as to how he got it mobile, and without an Aerial attached.....

12. KC1BLE

KC1BLE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not real, it's a television show :)

13. N1CZZ

N1CZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, just like Last Man Standing, yet to see any antennas at the store or the house, could be hidden in the backyard... I'm thinking they will show some antennas in the future at Mike Baxter's nice property.

14. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

for those of you who do not pay attention......the captain has stated several times his father, at a cabin in the woods is a ham radio operator. He has stated it several times.

15. WB9UDA

WB9UDA Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find with TV shows in general, when any radio is being used, the lights are not on and there is no antenna attached to it. I do wish that the producers would get a Ham Radio operator to work as a consultant.
    I'd be glad to oblige, for a modest fee.

Often they dig an old radio out of a box someplace, hocus-pocus with it a bit and then try to make a call.
    Now we all know it "just ain't that simple", right? How about an antenna? It's usually never mentioned.

But yes, I too like The Last Ship. Some great acting!

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.