ad: chuckmartin

Mid Central IL 08/02/2014

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KC9WXT, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9WXT

KC9WXT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good small hamfest. It's certainly doubled in size this year from the previous year's event.

Had about 6 vendor tables: Al's Radio, Dit and Dash, Engraving by Jim, a couple gentlemen selling used computers, used tablets, batteries, and computer stuff, a couple gentlemen from the Centralia Wireless Association selling handhelds and accessories, flashlights, odds and ends, and handcrafted tobacco pipes (beautiful briar-wood pipes!), and a couple gentlemen selling West Mountain Radio stuff and some other goodies.

Nice door prizes (a Baofeng, safety vests, Elecraft hat, various ARRL gift certificates, tickets to future nearby hamfests, some other odds and ends), a 50/50 drawing, and a separate raffle for another Baofeng.

There was a pavilion for the tailgaters. There were only about 4 tables of goodies there this year.

This year they had two forums in a separate nearby building. One was from Tom, our ARRL Section Manager; the other was K9CT with a presentation about a couple DXpeditions (Wake Island and Amsterdam Island). Both were enjoyable.

License testing was also done after the forums.

Food was available on site for a reasonable price (donuts $.75, all drinks $1, good sloppy joes with chips for around $3, hot dog w/ chips $1.50).

I always enjoy going to hamfests for the socializing aspect. This was a great one for that. As for finding must-have-deals, I didn't see anything I had to have (but I wasn't looking for anything in particular, either).

We'll certainly be returning next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.