ad: QSLWorks-1

NASA evaluates CME of July 2012: We were lucky

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2ADK, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2ADK

K2ADK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Upon examining data from the Coronal Mass Ejection of July 23, 2012, NASA now says Earth very narrowly missed a repeat of the Carrington Event of 1856. It's questionable how prepared any of us really are for such an event, which is estimated to have a 12% chance of recurring in the next 10 years.
    Read here: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

2. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That'll scare the pants off ya!

"Humanity"

Humanity
    Auf wiedersehen
    It's time to say goodbye
    The party's over
    As the laughter dies
    An angel cries

Humanity
    It's au revoir to your insanity
    You sold your soul to feed your vanity
    Your fantasies and lies

You're a drop in the rain
    Just a number not a name
    And you don't see it
    You don't believe it
    At the end of the day
    You're a needle in the hay
    You signed and sealed it
    And now you gotta deal with it
    Humanity
    Goodbye

Be on your way
    Adios amigo there's a price to pay
    For all the egotistic games you played
    The world you made
    Is gone

Run and hide there's fire in the sky
    Stay inside
    The water's gonna rise and pull you under
    In your eyes I'm staring at the end of time
    Nothing can change us
    No one can save us from ourselves

Humanity
    Goodbye

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least give credit to the Scorpions if you're gonna post their lyrics.

4. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah, DUH I meant to. SCORPS!!!!

5. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I follow the conclusions reached by U of C and NASA. STEREO-A (and B for that matter) are in orbits which are synchronized with Earth around the sun. STEREO-A was in the direct line-of-fire of the CME, yet was undamaged. The scenario that Earth would have received unprecedented damage when STEREO-A emerged unscathed makes no sense. The Van Allen belt, the ionosphere and our own atmosphere provide considerable shielding. I guess I'm not ready to buy the gloom-and-doom scenario they describe just yet. Besides, there is very little factual evidence from the 1856 event because, well, there was very little infrastructure to damage, and there was even less infrastructure in existence to record it.

6. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stereo (A,B) have Hardened Electronics. While on Earth we have thousands of miles of antennas called power-lines.

Is your Computer, Cell-phone and your Provider HARDENED?

Do you remember the North East power outage of 1980?

7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure do remember, Paul. Even so, in truth nobody's quite sure what caused it ... and I'm sure we'd see *some* effects of a huge flare here if we are ever in the crosshairs. But aren't GPS, et al, also "hardened"? The reports the "news outlets" are making, predicting widespread gloom and doom are overstated. Stereo A and B (an awesome project, by the way) are rad-proofed to the same degree GPS GOES, etc, etc are. What good is a sensitive spectrometer if you position it behind a lead shield? ;)

8. KC8YHW

The Sats. are hardened. Again it is the receivers here on Earth. Your hand held, Dash mounted, boat mounted and timing units used by media. Will get pulsed. I have a nice collection of boat anhcors (tube units) to be able to stay on the air I figure that will be the only equipment still useable. I figure anything that does not have a solid state device to control it's opperation should still work. I am unsure if an ignition coil will live through a pulse.

Some of the newer Mil. Gear should still work.

9. N8UQ

N8UQ Ham Member QRZ Page

SOME BODY NEEDS TO PUBLISH WHATS NEEDS TO BE DONE TO HARDEN, PASSIVELY OR ACTIVELY, YOUR EQUIPMENT AGAINST THAT TYPE OF EVENT AND NO ONE HAS THAT i KNOW OF.

10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

http://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-36.pdf

11. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

the easiest way would be to store it inside an old microwave oven in a basement or underground radiation shelter .

12. KC8YHW

Thanks Lee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.