ad: MLSons-1

Boulder County hiker thankful for rescuers and ham radio operators: 'I was lucky'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD0IU, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AD0IU

AD0IU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. AD0BN

AD0BN Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it-
    A great ending!

3. W4XEN

W4XEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome story! I wish I had my radio on at the time. I use the Colorado Connection repeaters frequently. I guess this shows the importance of monitoring.

4. PU2LXN

PU2LXN Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations!

5. AI4RA

AI4RA Guest

Great narrative and it shows how amateur radio can really help in an emergency situation. I must take issue with the article's characterization of amateur radio as "somewhat dated technology". Anyone who is active in the hobby knows that it has kept up with the times and uses the latest developments in digital and electronics technology that is legally allowed.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It also demonstrates the value of wide area linked repeaters. Boulder County is a good distance from Colorado Springs, unlikely they would have been in contact on a single repeater, even in Colorado.

7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe... But what was required in this case was the ability to reach any base station, or for that matter anybody who was in a region of good cell phone coverage. There was no need to reach Colorado Springs in particular; they just needed some way to relay the help request to appropriate first responders.

Sure, wide area linked repeaters may have more listeners, and therefore may be more likely to have someone listening who can help. But a standalone system, as long as it was popular enough to have someone listening who could make a phone call, might have done the job.

Anyway, the equipment and people that were there DID work very well that day. Good story, and a job well done by all.

8. W4DLE

W4DLE Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to agree with this. With little traffic on most repeaters, they would get more use if they were linked anyway. I can name 10 within 25 miles of here that probably rarely get a hit. But, if you linked some of them to towns further out, guys who live 50 or 60 miles apart could talk on repeaters with relatively small footprints. Then it would be more likely that someone would be listening to almost any repeater at any given time. That would make them more suited for emergencies should one arise.

9. ND0A

ND0A Ham Member QRZ Page

This man was very lucky that other people were in area and that one of them had a ham radio. Colorado still has some very remote locations where cell service is nonexistant. Ham radio saves lives. I have first hand knowledge of this. The Colorado connection is a great system I have used it several times and the coverage area huge. My hats off to all of the Ham operators involved.

10. AC7DX

AC7DX Guest

Even luckier that none were in a HOA according to the comment left in that article

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  11. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Outdated" is the wrong word. Amateur radio may be old technology, but it sure isn't "outdated."

12. K9BMC

K9BMC Ham Member QRZ Page

An 8 track player, now that's outdated..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.