ad: MLSons-1

Brian Crow, K3VR issued $11,500 fine by FCC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

NOTICE OF APPARENT LIABILITY FOR FORFEITURE
    Adopted:
    July 22, 2014
    Released:
    July 22, 2014
    By the
    District Director, Philadelphia Office, Northeast Region,
    Enforcement Bureau:

I.
    INTRODUCTION
    We propose a penalty of $11,500 against amateur radio station operator Brian Crow for
    intentionally causing interference to other amateur radio operators and failing to provide stationidentification. Amateur radio frequencies are shared and licensees may not monopolize any frequency fortheir exclusive use. Deliberate interference undermines the utility of the Amateur Radio Service bypreventing communications among licensed users that comply with the Commission’s rules.In addition, thefailure to transmit call sign information disrupts the orderly administration of the Amateur Radio Service by

preventing licensed users from identifying a transmission’s source. Mr. Crow was warned previously inwritingby the Enforcement Bureauabout causing interference to other amateur radio operators, warranting an increased penalty.

For complete text see: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2014/db0722/DA-14-1031A1.pdf

2. KY8T

KY8T Ham Member QRZ Page

'I didn't do it. I wasn't even home at the time.'

Another sad example of an operator caught with his footswitch in his mouth.

3. W8ING

W8ING Ham Member QRZ Page

you are being much too kind. I'd say his foots witch was overloading his axxxxxx!

4. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

From the other thread...

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am surprised that Brian has responded publicly on QRZ. Expressing a personal opinion, perhaps we should just stick to facts and let the parties work through their dispute.

Notice Fred has just presented facts.

Chip W1YW

6. WY4J

WY4J Ham Member QRZ Page

Another lowlife moron bites the dust. Give this pea brain a couple tin cans and a piece of rope and maybe he will hang himself. Great job by the FCC!

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about that. I have chatted with VR on several occasions. He is very intelligent. I am very aware of the zoo on .275 and .313. Brian always seemed like one of the good guys.

Here is one fact. This statement from the NAL: "Mr. Crow allowed the agents to inspect the station and they confirmed that it was capable of operating on 14.313 MHz. The agents interviewed Mr. Crow, who stated he did not operate his amateur radio station that morning and was not home when the interfering transmissions occurred."

Although I have not talked to Brian in several years, when I did he was very much against such activity and was trying to get WRH to do something about it, which at the time was all on .275

I am glad the FCC is doing some housecleaning, but I hope they aren't throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

8. K8MHZ

So why didn't the FCC come to the door at the time they were monitoring, instead of waiting until the afternoon?

9. KC2HRG

KC2HRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus one to the FCC!

10. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Sure sounds like opening a door to have it thrown out....circumstantial?
    If the "agents", weren't operators...I wonder how much amateur radio understanding they even have....

11. K8MHZ

I took the time to read what the Philly FCC Dombrowski dude wrote to Fred back in 2008 about 'illegal radios'.

Before anyone passes judgment on Brian, they should take the time to read that thread.

Also, I doubt that anyone on this thread, except for Chip perhaps, has even talked to Brian. Several years ago his 'voice' was on .275 interfering with the other cuckoos in that nest. The interesting thing was that Brian was not even home and was talking to me on the phone while he was allegedly interfering on .275.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  12. K8MHZ

After reading the FCC's complaint against Brian with a hole big enough to drive a truck through, I re-read Gurnsey's complaint. It appears they never gained access to Gurnsey's equipment and never spoke to him in person at that residence, thus they have no witness of their allegations.

Is the FCC being so sloppy they are going to botch up the job of cleaning up 20 meters?

I am all for eliminating the miscreants on ham radio, but it should be done properly. The simple monitoring the ether for radio waves and receiving them does not prove who actually did the deed.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if any more 'players' will be tagged by the FCC over this.

13. AC9HP

AC9HP QRZ Lifetime Member #646 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would suspect the FCC has all the evidence they need or they would not waste the time with it. Just Google the call sign and see all the garbage it is linked to.

14. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did. FCC was right in that case, IMHO.

It's against the regulations to make or sell radios that don't meet FCC requirements, or to be a party to their manufacture and sale. By allowing folks to advertise such radios on a website, the website owner is becoming a party to the sale, even if the website owner receives no compensation.

Remember, FCC doesn't just regulate radio. They regulate "wired" communications too - including the internet. You can't legally use the internet, or email, or websites, to do or aid something illegal.

Again, IMHO.

If it were illegal drugs, or stolen property, being offered for sale, would you say that was OK?

15. W4QBQ

W4QBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.