ad: AbAuRe-1

Lightweight Portable Masts - some thoughts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G3CWI, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3CWI

G3CWI Ham Member QRZ Page

Lightweight portable masts make all forms of portable operating easy.
    But using them requires a few skills to get the best results. Richard
    G3CWI of SOTABEAMS has put together an article with lots of tips
    gained from nearly 20 years experience with these masts. It can be
    downloaded at:

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/<wbr>LAMAFT

2. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with portable masts has been the MFJ-1919 (remove the inner rod) tripod, then insert a telescopic mast that fits right inside. Telescopic mast is also from HRO though I forgot model number. It can go up to 20 or so feet, I place a Ed Fong PVC J-pole on top and the metal mast is durable enough to support. No guy wires needed as long as winds not too strong (light breezes ok). Also in my inventory are surplus military aluminum sections (each about 4 ft long) that can inserted into each other. You can make a mast, though not telescopic, as high as you want. Obviously too high it becomes very difficult to erect.

I used one of those fiberglass telescopic masts but it couldn't support much weight.

Ten years ago I saw a really nice telescopic mast assembly at IWCE conference in Las Vegas. This was the ultimate. Lightweight aircraft aluminum, tripod section can be folded up compactly, telescopic section has smooth action, all hinged fixtures were first class and can withstand dirt and mud in the field. And unbelievably this lightweight package can support hundreds of pounds (though I don't see how someone would use an antenna with that kind of weight). Disadvantage is costs about $3000.

3. W7JET

W7JET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use the MFJ-1919 (EX model with tripod) fiberglas mast. I have had pretty good luck with it. MFJ states the "tripod" is capable of supporting antennas up to 100 lbs however I seriously doubt that is possible with the mast extended to any substantial length. The top section is a bit flimsy and tends to bend a bit if extended beyond a couple of feet with an MFJ 2289 antenna attached. The lower sections are a bit beefier and don't flex quite as badly. The tripod supports the mast fairly well in a reasonable amount of wind, say 15-20 mph. I always sandbag the legs just to be on the safe side. Adjustment of the sections is fast and easy with a quick release mechanism that holds each section in place. I recommend marking an area a few inches above the bottom most point on each mast section to avoid pulling the section completely out of the section below it (lots of fun if you have a large antenna up top and the wind is blowing). Unfortunately, the threads on the tripod adjustment screw and/or the block into which it secures have stripped so the only position into which the tripod can be placed is the lowermost point. This is not much of a problem however because that is the point at which the tripod/mast assembly is the most stable and where I place it anyway.
    Overall, its a good portable mast that is relatively light weight and easily transportable for a reasonable price.

5. W8ING

W8ING Ham Member QRZ Page

A thread repair insert (AKA Helicoil) can be used to repair stripped threads. These inserts can be used in most any material that is approximately 1/8" or thicker with great success. I've even used the smaller screw sizes in sheet metal.

Mike

6. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am currently using a portable telescoping mast I found at HRO. It does a pretty good job holding my G5RVjr. I am using all of 22 feet in inverted fee. No its not a 1/2 wave length in height on 40 but I can sure kick some butt on 20.

I want to get a couple more of the same mast and put up a full size 40 horizontal. I know not 1/2 wave but I can still warm some clouds.

I think many of us want to have the perfect antenna farm. I am in a shared living situation.

Hope to meet you in the log..Steve:cool:

7. K9JN

K9JN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using Max Gain Systems 43 foot extend. http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-push-up-mast.htm

I use my 33 ft rotary dipole up 35 ft or so. I also put up VHF loops 40 ft.

I do guy it at two places.

I can get it up and down and guys in place in 5 minutes.

I love it.

Gary
    K9JN

8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! Masts are less of a problem if you use a quarter wave vertical on good clear ground or the sea. Sometimes, it pays to reconsider horizontal beams and the search for 'gain'...

9. G0HCP

G0HCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a SOTAbeams 7m mast, which is a rebadged Lineaeffe pole. Really good. Works perfectly with my linked dipole, and is very stable.

10. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

back when I could find them I picked up several 20/30/ and 40 foot pushup poles from radio shack, about 40 bucks each on sale. they work well and go up easy.

11. 2E0VOV

2E0VOV Ham Member QRZ Page

When near salt water I run EFHW up a 10m roach pole,
    if im inland using a inverted V I use 7m of the pole. Best £26 mast ever
    73's

12. N3TGY

N3TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

what I use : http://www.polesandholders.com/home.php?cat=1 not a bad price and strong enough to mount a double zepp or a small home built 2 meter yagi etc. A.E.S.- Amateur Electronic Supply sold or sells them ( I have not looked to see the new catalog) I have a holder and then use a Pyle Speaker tripod that I bought through Amazon, it's also inexpensive( under 40 bucks )and holds more weight than I'd ever put on it. here is the link http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PSTND2-Tripod-Speaker-Stand/dp/B000E0PPG0 I also have an MFJ tripod - it's good too but the center protrudes too low when the pod is opened up wide.
    But for Me the Pod , Mast, using Guy Tie rings ( for paracord guy lines ) and a doublet or a delta loop , and a smart tuner hung on the tripod feeding the doublet with 450 ohm feed line, is simple and effective . that's what works for me for picnic table portable radio! this is my favorite way to operate my radios hope it helps some hams that are on a tight budget!

13. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Following up, here are some photos of my MFJ-1919 tripod with the telescopic mast (I forgot model or brand of this). I think it can be elevated one more section (forgot such details) but I didn't want it to be too top heavy. One top is the PVC Ed Fong dualband J-pole, works great with a dualband mobile. You can see how a quick station can be setup with outstanding RF coverage. A good size gel-cell battery anchors the MFJ-1919. This was used when San Jose RACES supported the Mt. Hamilton bike race earlier this year and cellphone coverage was pretty spotty in this area. HTs would have difficulty reaching repeaters. MtHamCls14.JPG MtHamCls06.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.