ad: M2Ant-1

How can I overpower a dead keyer (someone keying over top of me purposely)

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K8WVO, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8WVO

K8WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

So any suggestions for getting my signal into the repeater over this guy??? I was thinking an amp and a Yagi but I don't know what to do. It's a 2 meter repeater, the guy stomps all over everyone we know for sure he has an amplifier. Not sure how many watts he runs or what kind of radio.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't you simply take the time to report it to the FCC field engineer and office in your region. Let him know what the problem is, get all the Amateurs in your are effected by this to sign a formal complaint. That way there will be more than 1 person filing the complaint and it will hold more weight as they will need to make a formal response back. They do find these types of people and they fine them pretty heavily so what are you waiting for. Buying an amplifier to play king on the hill is a waste of your time and your money. Make the people that we pay taxes to work. If they don't simply follow the chain upwards

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. This doesn't seem like a topic appropriate for "General Announcements". *shrug*

2. Work with the repeater owner and reliable local hams. Document and report to the FCC. Learn the principles of DF'ing and quietly locate the offenders' location without tipping him off.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll add to the chorus. Don't get into an on-air arms race, where you both try to overpower each other. Any victory on that front would be very temporary, and would encourage him to escalate the battle. In the worst case, things might get distorted so that he tries to accuse YOU of trying to interfere with HIM, and you might get the pleasure of explaining to the authorities your use of high power in the context of 97.313(a), and your intentionally trying to overpower him in the context of 97.101(d). The regulations don't have any provision that allows you to cause interference to another station just because he caused interference to you first.

Instead, contact the repeater owner. Chances are, the repeater owner is already aware of the situation. Ask how you can help find and report the guy. It's a good opportunity to learn how to do some direction finding. This sort of thing is probably easier to do in a group, and there are probably a few local hams annoyed enough to help form a posse. The FCC is in charge of enforcement actions, but you and other local hams can make the FCC's job easier by doing a lot of the preliminary legwork to identify the offender's location and techniques. And a bunch of you complaining at once in a united voice may encourage the FCC to act more quickly than a single voice would.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I agree with what all the others have said - trying to "overpower the other guy who is stomping on me"
    is a tactic from the 27 MHz band and has no place in ham radio nor in "general announcements"

As has been suggested, work with the repeater group and the FCC to stop the abuse.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If he's in close proximity to the repeater's receiving antenna, you're not going to "overpower" him with anything you can muster. He's operating illegally anyway. If he can afford a 100MW transmitter, you can bet he's got one.

The worst ones are probably a quarter mile away from the repeater, running 100mW with a large beam pointed at the repeater.

7. W1PDG

W1PDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Shut your rig off. Tell others to do the same. If he has no one to talk to he'll get the hint. Only way to deal with amateurs like that. Report him to who ever/ club that maintains that repeater.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

probably a KILLERWATT and a moonbounce beam array would get over him!

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Trans-Equatorial Moonbounce always worked for me... :cool: I doubt that he can get his signal that far...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try simplex with your amplifier (that you don't have yet) and your yagi (ditto).
    Going somewhere that he isn't is always a good strategy. It removes him from the equation.
    There are numerous simplex frequencies and he can't cover them all. Having yourself locked to a repeater is a problem in and of itself.
    There are plenty of other portions of many bands where you can chat, experiment and do more useful things then ponder this guy's actions.
    Don't waste your time and resources on such things.
    If it drives you to the point of wanting to know who this guy is then, search for him and satisfy that need for knowledge. Send the information to the proper authorities and be done with it.
    Every time this guy acts up, circumvent him. Take away his audience and the performer will go away.

Have fun
    Gary

11. KC8QMU

KC8QMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a way to try to play this......

When he starts, all parties go to simplex on the INPUT. Preferably with whatever power you can muster. Unless he has some massive station, he's probably not going to be able to cover ALL of you at all of your locations. Then, without ever acknowledging his presence, converse as you normally would. If he can't get your goat, he'll get bored and go away...........

12. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Option 2 is to call the person you are having a QSO with, on the phone, and carry on with your conversation on the repeater *and* phone. The jammer will hear that the QSO is still going on, and figure whatever he's doing isn't blocking your conversation, and likely go away.

13. W4DLE

W4DLE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is simply brilliant. A few of you should get together and plan this out. Just chat on the telephone but key up every time you talk. When the guy can't figure out how you guys are able to continue talking, he'll probably drop kick his amp into next week because he has no electronics or communication skills. At the very least, he'll get mad and tip his hand by starting to talk on the air. But keep the game going. He'll think he is talking over you but when he stops transmitting you guys will be in the middle of a sentence. The only problem I foresee with this plan is not breaking out into laughter when the guy goes nuts. But you guys have to sound as though you are just having a normal chat and he doesn't exist.

This is so brilliant I almost wish someone were doing it here. I know at least a dozen hams around here who would be able to pull this scheme off with me and it would be hilarious! I would have to record it and put it on Youtube or something!

GREAT idea, KF5FEI!

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I have to admit... that's a great idea that is in keeping with "ham spirit" - conversation carries on,
    jammer has no clue why he's no longer able to jam. Could be a "win win"\

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

15. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Genius!

It could be done by simulcasting on another (ham) band as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.