ad: QSLWorks-1

Maritime CW On Air ," Night of Nights" 2014

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N1NQC, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N1NQC

N1NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey All,

The 2014 "Night of Nights" Maritime CW event is coming up on July 12 th.

I had LOTS of fun the last time I participated.

Stations : KPH/ K6KPH, KFS, NMC*,KSM, NMQ*,NMW*, WLO, KLB*.

*= also operating on longwave, just below the AM b'cast band.

Search radiomarine.org

de N1NQC K

2. N1NQC

Sorry about typo in header.Of course should read 2014. Moderator ?

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Listen this year for W4WLO on 7055 & 14055.
    We'll be crankin' it up at 1801 CDST this Saturday & run 'til 0100 CDST Sunday morning.
    Give us a holler !!!
    dit dit

4. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it be possible to have some GMT/UTC times please? There are those of us who don't live in the USA and who have, in the past, worked KPH/KFS/NMC/various other US stations and who would like to do so again.

5. W5BIB

Begins at 0001Z 13July,
    Ends at 0700Z 13July.

Correct local times to read: 1900 CDST(Sat) until 0200 CDST(Sun)
    :eek:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  6. W5BIB

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. M0PHE

Thanks for that. I sent them an email and got a very nice reply. I'm a little surprised they're not keeping an H24 watch :D

8. K5RT

K5RT Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't this the same time that the IARU Radiosport contest runs?

9. N1NQC

Hey All,

Yes, It looks like we are going to be active at the same time as IARU (hmmmmmm, qrmmmmmmm ?). Gud to hear W4WLO is going to be up. Is it actually AT the main WLO site/using WLO antennas, etc ?

I plan a dxpedition to Fourth Cliff Military Camp Ground (Scituate, MA) at the WW II underground bunker.It's the same place we did Field Day.Probably just going to sand bag though. No real plans for tx ants.

K

10. W5BIB

Hi Kevin...
    Yes we've just discovered that both "IARU & WRTC" will be active this weekend !!!
    At WLO we will be using a TS-480 & a LOOP antenna at the receiver site.
    We will be listening to 7055 & 14055. Will probably start out on 14055 & switch to 7055 as the evening progresses.
    We just don't have the manpower to do much more (only 4 operators).

Renee' (K4EDX) runs WLO & KLB just informed me last evening that "KLB" will NOT be participating this year
    due to the manager (CRAIG, W7ZFX) being admitted to the hospital. We are hoping he is going to be O.K..

The main focus is to have "WLO" up & running (on antennas from the transmitter site) @ CODEN, ALA.

W4WLO will be manned as the conditions allow.
    The main reason to man W4WLO is to facilitate reception reports of WLO.

We may in the future put W4WLO on for a 24 hour period during a time when 2 major contests are not running
    at the same time !!!!!

more info to follow...AR

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  11. N1NQC

Hey Steve,

V Gud re WLO info. Sorry about Craig's illness and KLB not being up.

CA is often crap shoot here in the Northeast, especially on marginal antennas ( like the one's I have at my home QTH) .

I expect that the Scituate "field" antenna may also be "questionable", but at least it's away from the "city" noise at the home QTH). Thank goodness it's all in CW !!!

WLO/ AL stations usually quite good here , too bad we are losing a call sign (KLB). I am a "VLF person" as well, so I'll at least be CHECKING LW but doubt I'll copy any omni West coast stuff "down low". Doubt any East coast stuff will be in there either, but I'll check around just for grins.

I'll probably be quickly checking other stuff in addition to "Night of Nights" (630 M "experimental", LW b'cast, the really LOW stuff ie 15 Kc and up,AM b'cast crystal set dx , running 10 M mobile before event, etc, etc). Should be a good outing- Wx expected good, hope propagation is as well.

Can you comment on the following :

I think the K6KPH/KPH (etc) antennas ( H 2's etc) are "mostly" (or "overwhelmingly") aimed out toward the Pacific and /or are omni ?

I think the Coast Guard installations are also either omni or "Pacific aimed".

How much "backside of the antenna " from these West coast arrays can we expect here ( 5 or 15 % ) ?

Obviously omnis or Pacific aiming not the best for the Northeast.

Thoughts?

FWIW, I got to see the great WCC Chatham array just before it was torn down and have operated several times at the old "CC" monument site at Marconi Beach, Wellfleet. Was out there for Titanic 100th ceremony .The WCC museum was also really cool. When I was YOUNG, I caught WCC on LW ,but only ONCE.

When I lived in Germany (NSA/CSS support) and got a bit home sick I'd tune in WCC on HF , just kick back and simply listen to it cycle for a few minutes. It was my "beacon back to MA" and also a NE US to Germany "propagation indicator".

de N1NQC.........K

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  12. W5BIB

Hi K,
    I don't know about K6KPH/KPH antenna situation. Richard Dillman at "MRHS" could answer those questions for ya.

I do know that in the 9 years I worked the grave-yard shift (10pm-6am), the only stations I heard on LF/MF
    was KLC (Galveston), WNU (Slidell) and a couple of stations in Florida.

I too spent 9 years with NSA/CSS (as a "ditty chaser") & have listened to WLO all over the world.

It was quite an honor to finally work for them as the over-nite cw operator for 9 years.
    BTW,... during those years I used only a straight key for msg handling. I'll be using the same key (J-44) this
    weekend.
    We plan on keying xmtrs on 4, 8, 12 & 16 mhz.
    We will send W4WLO info on WLO so you'll know where we are. We plan on being on 7055 & 14055, but it
    depends on how crowded the bands are with the two big contests going on at the same time.
    more later.
    AR

13. M0PHE

I have to tell you as a merchantman from the UK whenever we were in US waters I ALWAYS tried to work Slidell/WNU. They were just so slick and professional. They also answered your first call unlike some of the 'giants'... :rolleyes:

14. N1NQC

Hey Steve and All,,

Things are really gearing up- now we have three hams and myself at Fourth Cliff on Sat. Maybe we'll work u. Prop gud tonight.EVERYONE have fun .

K

15. W5BIB

Latest update for the W4WLO / WLO "Night-of-Nights" operation is posted on
    "DISCUSSIONS, OPINIONS, & EDITORIALS"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.