ad: ProAudio-1

Ham radio: An ‘old’ technology is a lifesaver in the emergency field

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio: An ‘old’ technology is a lifesaver in the emergency field"
    By: Kara Tarantino, Georgia Health News

"Like a black-and-white movie, ham radio may evoke an image of how people communicated in the old days. In fact, Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney, who died this month at 93, starred in a classic film as a teenager in which ham radio was a key plot device."

See more at:
    http://www.georgiahealthnews.com/2014/04/ham-radio-old-technology-lifesaver-emergency-fieldLike a black-and-white movie, ham radio may evoke an image of how people communicated in the old days. In fact, Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney, who died this month at 93, starred in a classic film as a teenager in which ham radio was a key plot device. - See more at: http://www.georgiahealthnews.com/20...fesaver-emergency-field/#sthash.eS2HBzEU.dpuf

Like a black-and-white movie, ham radio may evoke an image of how people communicated in the old days. In fact, Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney, who died this month at 93, starred in a classic film as a teenager in which ham radio was a key plot device. - See more at: http://www.georgiahealthnews.com/20...fesaver-emergency-field/#sthash.eS2HBzEU.dpuf

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

An apparently well intentioned article, but,

I don't like amateur radio being labeled an "old technology", or even just a technology (the old derived just from the mean age of the participants?)

That's a weird and incorrectly narrow image to present. Ham radio is a technically based activity that involves more comprehensive set of human skills and in many cases the gear involved is anything but old, actually often just the opposite, more advanced, refined and integrated to be adaptable to a broader variety of comm situations, which is the inherent advantage.

Some of the photos in the article appear to be EMCOMM hams in front of PC's probably using pretty modern digital over-the-air modes.

OK, perhaps the author just was trying to slay a perceived negative stereotype for us, but did it have to be in the headline title? We need better PR with and coaching of these media / marketing consultants.

John - W0PV

PS - I wonder, is Kara related to Quentin?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  3. KK4ZAU

KK4ZAU Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I thought it was just old technology before I looked in to it and now I am a General(at time of posting I have taken test and passed. Not in FCC database) and may look to get Extra so that I can better help with testing. Many digital modes and a lot of cool tech.

4. K2NCC

Probably more our fault. I rarely meet a ham that's as tech-oriented in this hobby as I am. Many amateur's think if you hook a computer up to your rig, it's no longer ham radio.

If we want to capture the interest of the youth, we're going to need to focus on the future, not what the old-farts used to enjoy.

5. W0BJF

W0BJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone know where to find a copy of this ruling mentioned that allows hospital employees to use hams while on duty in response to an incident?

6. K2NCC

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our radio hobby really is an old means of communicating, with informal chit-chat, "competitions" and other non-essential messaging being an accurate characterization of our activities for most of the time.

People sometimes forget that one of the reasons the hobby exists in the regulatory structure is that when the need exists, we can provide emergency and potentially life-saving communications. And that the reason we happen to be there is because we enjoy the aforementioned activities as a pasttime.

But the need for emergency service by radio hobbyists no longer happens very often. We and our old means of communicating are more typically eclipsed by non-hobbyist infrastructure like text messaging and wi-fi (such as in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina), and basic internet and cellular avenues that remain viable for people to exchange information.

These alternatives didn't exist during Rooney's movie, which is why "ham radio" back then was an effective plot device. To put the hobby forward as an essential communications alternative today seems rather quaint. The Katrina episode is a prime example -- no licensed radio hobbyists originated any messaging from around New Orleans, and most of the "activity" for which proponents claim credit was actually beyond the areas hard hit.

"Traffic?"

"NO traffic!"

(standing by...)

8. N4TCM

N4TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have yet to see a CB radio connected to a computer running rtty or psk 31 anytime soon. The general public are only familiar with cb and think their smartphones is more advanced than ham radio. I've had two smartphones and always go back to my 2 meters or hf every time. -Tim N4TCM

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is not old technology? Rather, what technology is new? There sure isn't much. Most everything people consider new technology is nothing more than rehashed old technology.

10. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We can also advance the state of the radio art - Although there has been plenty of emphasis on public service since 9/11, the maker community is now in the ascendance and it is affecting amateur radio. In fact, it's the theme at Dayton this year, and I'm glad to see it.

73 - Pat
    wa0tda@arrl.net

11. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Because you are not allowed to run RTTY or PSK31 on CB.

12. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt that in itself is the reason. After all, it's also not allowed to run a kilowatt on CB.

In my opinion, the reason is that it's not as much fun to stomp on someone with RTTY or PSK31 as it is on AM. But, I'm just guessing. I can't fathom that kind of operation to be fun either.

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

14. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

He used the callsign W7BDF, registered to a BETTY L FERGUSON in the movie "Men of Boys Town. He was communicating with Pee Wee, who held the callsign W9YDK, non-existent. Probably using the AM mode and WOW look at the equipment and the microphones. Little bit of nostalgia here....

15. WB2YMU

WB2YMU Ham Member QRZ Page

He used the callsign W7BDF, registered to a BETTY L FERGUSON in the movie "Men of Boys Town. He was communicating with Pee Wee, who held the callsign W9YDK, non-existent. Probably using the AM mode and WOW look at the equipment and the microphones. Little bit of nostalgia here....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.