ad: MLSons-1

HRD Software, LLC Announces Extended Telephone Support Hours.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tampa, FL March 28, 2014

HRD Software, LLC announced today that they have extended the support hours for Ham Radio Deluxe from 10 AM ET to 9 PM ET Monday through Thursday and from 10 AM ET to 7 PM ET on Friday.

Tim Browning, KB3NPH and Jason Boyer, N6EY are doing phone support for the Ham Radio Deluxe product during these hours.

Ham Radio Deluxe continues to grow and the new hours will allow customers better access to our support team if they run into issues with the program.

Rick Ruhl, W4PC, said "Tim and Jason and their knowledge of the product to help and users is second to none. Extending the support hours should allow us to provide better support for our customer user base."

Ham Radio Deluxe will be at the Dayton Hamvention® in booths 99 and 100.

Purchase and download Ham Radio Deluxe 6.X at http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com.

HRD Downloads: http://www.hamradiodeluxe.com

HRD Forum: http://forums.hrdsoftwarellc.com

HRD YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/hrdsoftware

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Its $99.95. The bundle with ROC for TNC's is $139.95.

And we get close to cooking breakfast, we can remote into people's computers to fix config issues... ;)

and you do get 6 programs with HRD for $99.95 and just one, Word, from Microsoft. ;)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you meant to say GOOD software, I dont think God needs any software ;)

4. W8JAA

W8JAA Ham Member QRZ Page

"And we get close to cooking breakfast, we can remote into people's computers to fix config issues... [​IMG]"

That is not a GOOD selling point , it is a security Risk .
    So now we find out HRD has a built in Back Door to our computers .. Not Good .

5. K0ZRK

K0ZRK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The software is good, and is a good fit if you want to use one program for everything ham related. I paid the $99.95 and I think I got my money's worth. I use Log4OM now for logging, because it's simpler to use and the windows stay configured and where you put them. I still use HRD for digital work, though, because it works well and can be configured to automatically send QSO information to Log4OM. I didn't mind paying $100 for HRD. I don't know if that's too much, but if it is, and they get filthy rich selling it, maybe more guys will write good software for hams and get rich too.

6. N0PIX

N0PIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing, absolutely NO THING in that comment by Rick says that HRD has any back doors... they use Remote Desktop or LogMeIn or something like it to support people, as a computer support person I do this EVERY DAY. It's 1000 times easier to remote into a system and click the buttons versus telling some luddite in painfully detailed steps how to get from point a to point b.

Mike
    WYØM

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Total mis-information. The support team uses the commercial version of TeamViewer for remote support. $800 a pop for that program, so my team and the customer have to be at the computer at the same time.

Just because W8JAA ASSUMED it was in HRD (and he misquoted the price), doesn't mean it's true, in fact. it seems he's one of the few who still wants us to fail!

Isn't happening, with close to 20,000 paid users and a 75% upgrade renewal rate, we are here to stay. We do pay Tim and Jason, BTW, they are very good with the customer base and don't come for free.

And you guys know about assuming ;)

Rick - W4PC

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  8. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Control
    Logbook
    DM-780
    rotor control
    Satellites
    Grayline (Mapper)

That's $15 per program. But keep in mind, Fred gets mad if everyone continues to argue price. Unless someone else can come up with $5,000,000 for HRD and Simon, and then make it free, it's not going to be free ever again.

9. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I deleted several off-topic comments that have nothing to do with the thread and are nothing more than the usual rude comments and complaints about price. For those with a short memory, those types of comments will get one banned. They simply are not necessary.

WORD TO THE WISE!

10. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Windows comes with an ability to "remote" into someone's computer ON PURPOSE in order to solve problems. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with HRD and to suggest so is to reveal a complete lack of knowledge of this issue.

.............Bob

11. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, after reading this, I can see there are real life conspiracy theorist Luddites everywhere!

There are no backdoors in HRD. I do support as well, and every time it's TeamViewer. Why? Because it requires the other end to be present! I am unable to connect without that remote end starting the application and making a connection to Teamviewer and passing me a session ID and password! It uses a 'Proxy' in the middle so there are no firewall issues to surmount (I have a Hardware Firewall that blocks all Inbound connections - only way for such a connection to exist is for me to connect to an external proxy so a stateful remote connection may be established).

RDP would be very difficult to use as most of your connections out there would require the input of a computer network engineer (which I am) to enable port forwarding and all the necessary ports (do YOU know how many ports are needed for RDP to work?). Therefore we would need to be experts in ALL the possible combinations of Network Interface Devices (as it's really wrong to call them MODEMs as there is almost no MOdulation or DEModulation going on unless you are STILL using Dial-up) and the firewall software you downloaded off a website because your nephew told you too.

There are no back doors. When I get on the phone with a client, I resolve his/her issue and then ask if there's anything else I can help them with. I have spent hours helping people understand the Satellite software. Understanding Macros (just this weekend, I helped a Ham in Germany, as I speak fluent German, understand how to use DM-780 and Macros. How many other Ham software vendors have German, French, Dutch, Spanish as well as English speakers to help solve clients problems?). If we had a Chinese speaker, we'd have covered about 70% of the world with language!

As Rick has said, these services are not free to him and are not free to the world. So, understand the level of support, the level of commitment and the level of knowledge which has gone into the current iteration of HRD. And in case you think Rick and Co are getting Rich off your support payment, I'd wager a weeks salary that Rick would be getting about the equivalent of less than a dollar an hour for his effort. They have released three iterations of HRD to the Beta team in the last week!

FWIW, I am a non-paid volunteer support person for HRD. Why won't I take Ricks money? Two Reasons: First, I believe in the product. Second I believe in helping (but not charity for) my fellow ham. Rick is a fellow ham. Try supporting his efforts to provide all hams with a world class product at a reasonable price with outstanding support.

12. KC6CNN

KC6CNN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not work for HRD. I am not affiliated with them other than as a user of their software.
    This Software Suite is the best complete package I have ever seen or used. The support team works hard to fix problems, but unfortunately most are user caused or user computer caused problems. They are always adding new stuff and listen to the hams that are using the software. They are also hams and have a good understanding of what we want and need. Sure everything was great with the live version. When HRD decided to release the beta versions a lot of hams did not understand it was beta and would have bugs or need fixes. For those hams stick with the live versions.
    Once you operate and use this software suite, you will see it is a bargain at that price.
    If you have a computer on the internet, then you are at risk for someone finding a way into your system.
    With tech support they remote in and that means you give them access to enter your system to fix any issues with running their software. You are able to sit and watch on your monitor everything they do during the remote.
    I for one think this is the finest software suite out there and appreciate all that the HRD team does for me and all the other hams using it.
    Yes, free is great, but you have to look at it as you get what you pay for and the simple fact is what other software includes all that HRD does.
    Thanks HRD Team.
    Gerald - KC6CNN

13. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Gerald, we are doing the best we can. And it seems to be working. What's funny, is when someone insults us or misrepresents us on here, we get like 10 orders.

The majority of hams know we're doing the right thing, and I know we are!

14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep up the Great work Rick and the people that make it all work.

Great Job.

I am still waiting on the Radio to come with it.

15. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick
    Mike
    Randy
    Erin
    Erik
    Tim
    Jim
    Veronica
    Jason
    Gordy