ad: portazero-1

Radio ham's PongSat fund raiser

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

A typical PongSat.gif Radio ham's PongSat fund raiser

Radio amateur John Powell W6JPA is trying to raise $11,000 on Kickstarter to send 2000 student projects to the edge of space

On September 27, 2014 he aims to launch 2000 student projects.
    All the projects fit inside ping pong balls called PongSats.
    (a typical PongSat is pictured on the right)

Students from all over the world send their PongSats and they are flown to an altitude of 30 km on weather balloons.
    After the landing the PongSats are returned to their creators along with data from the flight, a DVD with video of the launch and on board scenes and a certificate showing they flew.

Read all about PongSat 2 on Kickstarter
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1569698176/
    2000-student-projects-to-the-edge-of-space

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2014/april/radio_hams_pongsat_fund_raiser.htm

[​IMG]

Follow Southgate News on Twitter
    Become a Facebook fan

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hams do lots of things, but if we treated every ham's effort as 'ham news', the list would be endless.

I would be much more impressed if the kids had to build something that DID something when released at 100,000 feet. Especially if it was a little ham TX with a clever antenna setup.

Sure wish there was a ham tie-in.

Chip W1YW

3. N1CLB

N1CLB Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, I wouldn't want to be the unlucky person who gets hit with one of these miniature meteorites, if a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State building in NY can possibly kill a person, what do you think these little weighted projectiles would do???? possibly go through a person?? I'm hoping it goes good and nobody gets hurt.... IMHO

Chuck
    KB1ZFO

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the pong balls are passengers, and the gondola has wings to glide a bit on the way down. It's not a bad activity at all,just wish there was ham radio in it.

Chip W1YW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.