ad: Sussex-1

VIDEO: How to Setup a Raspberry PI with DVAP to Access D-STAR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N3FHW, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3FHW

N3FHW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have posted a very detailed video on how to setup a Raspberry PI image for a DVAP to create a hotspot for connecting to the D-STAR network:

http://youtu.be/FKjHw3xVnsw

Enjoy!

Joe
    N3FHW

2. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet... still need that Proprietary chip.

3. N5TWB

N5TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the video - got the parts to make this happen and this should make it go quicker.

4. N8PC

N8PC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no proprietary chip in the hotspot. the chip you are refferring to is not proprietary just the Codec for it is. Please learn more about D-Star before commenting about it.
    Here are some other Videos to watch to learn about D-Star.

Greetings and introductions and D-STAR Introduction
    Definition, origins, growth, terminology
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28114206

D-STAR 101 (Basics)
    Equipment, navigation, tools
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28115127

D-STAR Round Table #1
    General discussion with chatroom regarding introduction and basics
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28116488

D-STAR 201 (Expansion) & D-STAR 301
    D-PLUS, DV Dongle, DVAP, Reflectors, GMSK Modems, linking do’s and don’ts
    D-STAR 301 (Operational aspects) (@1.05)
    D-RATS and EmComm use
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28117481

D-STAR Happenings in Memphis, TN
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28116264

D-STAR Round Table #2
    General discussion with chatroom regarding Emcomm, D-STAR Expansion, and the quick key net
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28119252

5. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Non of those ustream links worked.

How ever some people do not want to pay for the IP that someone may have worked on for years to develope. There are several companies paying to use the patented codecs in their products. To the whiners go develope something then get a patent and fend off the copies.

6. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

So are you saying that if I acquire the chip and pay for the codec and go on to build myself a device that somehow I am doing something wrong??

Do you think if a ham build his own transmitter using know designs that he is ripping someone off?

7. KC8YHW

Do you understand IP laws? If an inventer allows hia IP to expire, the idea enters public domain. Once in public domain it can not be repatented. Patents, Copy Rights and Tradmarks are all forms of IP. There is a fourth class GPL General Public Licience you have to give notice that the idea came from a GPL.

Do not Ever make a copy of Mickey Mouse unless you want to be in court against Disneys lawyers.

By paying for the code you have satisfied the IP holder. Have you ever read the EULA that comes with Windows, End User Liciecing Agreement.? You may have seen the part that you must agree to be able to use this software, or remove it from your computer.

If you bought the Card for your Icom ( U-118 ) you have paid the IP fees, there was some lawsuits about yard sale books not repaying the IP, that could have gotten messy, DO NOT BUY YARD SALE SOFTWARE you maybe on the hook.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The GPL or GNU General Public License is not a "fourth class of intellectual property". It's a software license popular with open source projects. The source code must be included or made available. It's main unique feature is its viral nature. You have the right to modify it but if you distribute it, your new product or project must also be licensed under GPL which means you must make your modified source code available.

9. N3FHW

N3FHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fellas,

I posted the link to the video to help folks that have a want and a will to setup their own hotspot for D-Star. I did not want to open the never ending debate on D-Star having a monopoly on the DV market. If you are upset that it is a proprietary codec then D-Star is not your cup of tea. But there are a lot of folks who are ok with that, me being one, and want to enjoy using D-Star. My video will help them do so.

Joe
    N3FHW

Thanks!

Joe

10. AA4HI

AA4HI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All of the links worked for me . Chuck

11. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

nice, well thought out video to the op

however This thread right here is what prevents me from getting on Dstar if one was using this as an investigative resource

many perfect examples of the elitist attitude that continues to dissolve the amateur community

12. N8PC

N8PC Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K5SPP

K5SPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Thank you for posting that video. As a new D-STAR user I am very interested in the possibilities, and options available to make contacts, so this really helps. Plus, I get to learn more electronics, programing, and just plain, new skills.

(BTW, I really don't get all the hard feelings some folks have over D-STAR, but I suppose it makes them feel better to vent over forums such as this. Perhaps their energy could be better spent teaching new hams, or writing their own software? Oh well.)

14. KC8YHW

I would love to be able to watch videos however I am locked into Dial-up, Videos are very painful at those connection speeds.

15. AD0DQ

AD0DQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe:

I try never to listen to the nay sayers. D-Star works. You can connect with people all over the world. The audio quality is superior to standard FM, and tons better than what you normally get on HF. There are not as many repeaters as I would like, but then again, there are ways around that. Your video makes it possible for someone to construct a Dvap Hotspot so that, with a wi-fi hotspot even out here in the wilds of Missouri where there are only 6 repeaters in the whole state (St. Louis, Columbia, Rolla, Kansas City, Joplin, Springfield) you can talk on D-star to your heart's content.

D-Star offers reflectors, something that most other repeaters do not. While some are linked (All-star, Echolink), the linking on the D-star is far superior and the audio quality is much better. I've talked to Brussels, Australia, Japan, Britain, and all over the US on D-star. I have enjoyed those conversations a great deal.

When I was new and did not understand the complexities, Reflector 12 had a wonderful roundtable where the D-star geniuses were available to explain things to us mere mortals. They say a single conversation with a wise man is worth a year's study, and that was certainly true of Reflector 12.

Have a problem with your RT Systems software? Log on to Reflector 30 and ask a question, and there's a good bet that one of the RT Systems folks will come back to you and talk you through it. Because the community is a little smaller, there seems to be a great deal more camaraderie on D-star, even more than usual, and I really enjoy that.

There are lots of work-arounds for those who don't want to buy the codec or ICOM hardware and software. Dutch Boards, and Moen Boards are out there and you can make your own repeater using those things if you want. If you live for the thrill of "beating the system" then there you go. If, like me, you believe in paying for what you get enjoyment out of, in the hopes that you keep paying and it keeps funding good products, then you get to see things like the ID-5100 get developed with new enhancements not currently in the D-star line up. You can get a 7100 and go digital HF and participate in the HF net on Reflector 30 Charlie. There is a lot of stuff out there, and I haven't learned nearly enough, but I know enough to know that I really love this D-star thing, and want it to continue.

That's just my two cents, and for those who don't like D-star, it's probably greatly overvalued. But I'm betting there are a lot of other folks who feel the same way.

Tony
    AD0DQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.