ad: Retevis-1

USS Iowa Memorial For 47 Lost Souls

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KQ0EA, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KQ0EA

KQ0EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On April 19, 1989, 47 sailors lost their lives when there was an explosion in turret 2 on the USS Iowa, BB61.

Today we honor their memories as we operate the Battleship Iowa Amateur Radio Association's station NI6BB.

We expect to have former crew members and families of the survivors aboard as well and hope to be able to share their memories.

Band conditions will dictate our operation, but expect us on SSB working our way down through 28461, 24961, 21361, 18161, 21261, ending with 7261.

Hours are planned to begin at 1700 UTC and end NLT 2359 UTC.

QSL per QRZ.COM instructions to W6HB.

2. KK4HJG

KK4HJG Ham Member QRZ Page

My cousin was Captain John J. Chernesky, ship's executive officer, was the recommissioning officer of the battleship USS IOWA (BB-61), 04/28/1984.

uss iowa.jpg

I will certainly try to contact the USS IOWA during this special event.

KK4HJG - John Maslowski - Prescott Valley Arizona

3. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've know a classmate from high school who said he was a sonar tech on the Iowa when that happened.

I'll definitely try to make this contact!

4. KQ0EA

KQ0EA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We should be very busy, but please be patient, and if we can hear you, we'll work you.

I'm not a very good contest or pile up operator, so be extra patient with me if I'm at the mic!

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.