Callsign
ad: elecraft
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FCC To Reinstate Morse Code Requirement!

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Hard to believe that this subject has been volleyed back and forth without anyone raising the subject small question pools and published answers. This combination is as perverse as complete elimination of the code requirement.

One poster raised the issue of the Volunteer Examiner program--that program is one of the better ideas to have come out of the Federal bureaucracy. It has built-in guards against fraud, and provides licensed radio amateurs another way of "giving back" to the community.

Reform the licensing process such that it requires a basic understanding of rules, regulations, radio wave behaviour, radio electronics, and code (for the highest license class) to meet the goals set out in Title 47, Part 97. Give the congress a reason to preserve the amateur service and its frequency allocations. Or, maintain the status quo and see the amateur services bandwidth nibbled away by commercial and governmental interests.
    Americans, listening to radio, lean forward; the British lean back. (A. Cooke)

Quote Originally Posted by WA7DU View Post
    Hard to believe that this subject has been volleyed back and forth without anyone raising the subject small question pools and published answers. This combination is as perverse as complete elimination of the code requirement.

One poster raised the issue of the Volunteer Examiner program--that program is one of the better ideas to have come out of the Federal bureaucracy. It has built-in guards against fraud, and provides licensed radio amateurs another way of "giving back" to the community.
    Ironically, the reason for the whole VEC/QPC system was to save FCC resources.

Think how ingenious the whole thing was/is. Used to be that FCC had to spend serious money to create and administer the tests, both by-mail and in-person. And they couldn't charge a penny! (Yes, there was a time in the 1960s when there were fees - but they went away after some years for legal reasons).

What the VEC/QPC system did was to get unpaid volunteers to do the work that used to be done by Federal employees!

The question pools aren't exactly "small". They have to be at least 10 times the size of the test - 350 questions for Tech and General, 500 for Extra - and they're actually somewhat larger. If someone is willing to do the work, there's no upper limit on their size.

Reform the licensing process such that it requires a basic understanding of rules, regulations, radio wave behaviour, radio electronics, and code (for the highest license class) to meet the goals set out in Title 47, Part 97.
    First off, the code test is gone and isn't coming back. Not for any license class. FCC doesn't want the headaches.

Second, with or without the code test, how, exactly, would the license process be reformed to insure "a basic understanding of rules, regulations, radio wave behaviour, radio electronics"?

Give the congress a reason to preserve the amateur service and its frequency allocations. Or, maintain the status quo and see the amateur services bandwidth nibbled away by commercial and governmental interests.
    I don't think you'll see amateur bandwidth nibbled away. Not MF or HF anyway, nor most of VHF/UHF. We might lose some - but only if we don't use it.

The REAL threats to Amateur Radio have nothing to do with license requirements. They're also much harder to fight.

They are:

1) More and more hams and prospective hams live in places that are "ham radio unfriendly". Places where you can't put up an effective antenna, places that are RFI nightmares even if you could put up an antenna, etc. The days when practically every kid could at least string up a wire to the crab apple tree in the back yard are no more. And the percentage of homes that are "ham radio friendly" keeps dropping.

2) There are more and more RF noisemakers on the scene, often with phony credentials. Everything from BPL to plasma TVs to poor maintenance of power lines. So even if you can put up an antenna, you have a hard time hearing anything else.

3) There's not nearly enough FCC enforcement - of RF noisemakers nor bad behavior.

4) Lack of publicity. Many if not most people who are not hams and don't have hams in the family have either never heard of us or have an extremely distorted view of ham radio. Many have no real concept of "radio" at all!

Those are the challenges we need to address.
    73 de Jim, N2EY

[I]"Enjoy every sandwich" - [/I]Warren Zevon

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post
    And today is?
    Today is yesterdays tomorrow. Do I get me free beer at Joe's Crab Shack now?

Is it an awful thing that I'd be alright with a morse test again? I'd be plenty happy to take it

Quote Originally Posted by NL7W View Post
    That's 99.999% of the ham population!
    Great! Now I know that I am part of the 0.001% of hams who aren't overweight!

Copying Morris Code is so out dated and old fashioned. Modern hams should learn to copy some of the new digital modes; like PS 31, WSKR or that musical invented by Olivia de Hammarlund.

Quote Originally Posted by N5AL View Post
    Copying Morris Code is so out dated and old fashioned.
    A bit of history:

Most people don't know the code was invented by Morris the Cat, who became so popular in 1988 he ran for President.

What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    A bit of history:

Most people don't know the code was invented by Morris the Cat, who became so popular in 1988 he ran for President.

He also invented the cat scan.
    Steve

If you have to worry about the cost of HF e-mail, you can't afford the boat.

CW: The mode that accomplishes the most with the least circuitry, the least spectrum, and the least power.

What hath God wrought?
    He hath wrought that pounding brass still kicks .- ... ...

The FCC is also going to make NEWBIES wait FIVE Years before they can apply for a Dead Person's Vanity Call. Oh Man!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K9XR View Post
    The FCC is also going to make NEWBIES wait FIVE Years before they can apply for a Dead Person's Vanity Call. Oh Man!!!!!!!!!
    With all the vampire movies lately, I think they just want to be sure someone's going to stay dead.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by K9XR View Post
    Just arrange for the lucky person to die 5 years earlier.

Problem solved.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast