ad: MyersEng-1

Please help.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KG7FGA, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG7FGA

KG7FGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy Friday:)
    I will be Going to Lima Peru for CHRISTmas and would really like to bring my radio station with me.
    Please help with... point me in the direction to every speck of info I need to have ALL my ducks in a row to communicate properly while in Peru on a plane or any point between:) ! yes I should know some of these answers but I love my privileges and do not want to operate on assumption. You folks are WAY more experienced than me. Your wealth of knowledge far surpasses mine. and I would miss out on the human interaction with you in this email:)
    I am according to the FCC as of now a Technician licensed operator, any day My General will be updated on their site.
    while in Peru what can I do to help other hams make a contact. It will be a shame if i did not pass on my experience to others. Sota? I will use only QRP (yeasu ft817nd and antenna???) so I am somewhat limited but I want to do what ever that 5 watts will do and get as many contacts as humanly possible. can I do a contest? I really don't know what all I can do or not do but the main reason to go is a mission trip but 2nd is to play radio. I will be their 4weeks or less and 1/2 of my time is to Learn more about ham radio:) Please help me with what you can:)
    Your advice, suggestions and comments are much appreciated:):):)
    73 to all
    kg7fga
    kg7fga@gmail.com

2. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

Peru is an IARP treaty country. It requires an international permit, and there are two classes of licenses, see the form here:http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/iarp-app.pdf then get the photos needed, write the check, and do this now as it takes some time. One class is for use of Morse, the other for frequencies above 30mhz, so 6M+. In other countries, the CEPT agreement covers operation, and solo, only Advanced Extras are permitted privileges. However, several ideas: 1) find a Peruvian ham who may want to help you 2) research for amateur operators in the areas you'll travel. Another caution: operation of radios on amateur frequencies can be different for each place you'll be traveling-- and different when you're actually IN the air on an airplane. Note that most commercial aircraft ban transceivers of any kind. This means HTs, QRP, whatever. You must have the specific permission of the pilot, generally, who can refuse for any reason. Check with them first. Make sure your homeowners or other insurance covers your equipment--this alone can be a showstopper.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur Advanced Class and Extra Class both have privileges, but Generals may have only limited privileges.

If you have a chance before taking the trip, upgrade and you'll have full privileges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.