ad: Radclub22-1

The TYT TH-9800 Quad Band Transceiver now released

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K4TEC, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4TEC

K4TEC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have received our first batch of the new TYT TH-9800 Quad Band Transceivers, we are currently putting 2 of them through the paces and early tests show they are exceptional rigs.

I have produced a short video of them so you can see basically what they are like.

And for those who wonder who I am ,, my callsign is clear and I am owner of radio-mart.net ;)

[video=youtube_share;23I8OLQ84UI]http://youtu.be/23I8OLQ84UI[/video]

We will have our first major shipment around Jan 10th

2. K4TEC

K4TEC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W4TRB

W4TRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Martyn,
    I finally got to install my new rig yesterday and spent some time programming it with the TYT software. Couple of questions for you. When in the edit channel window, what does Emphasis setting do/mean? And on repeaters with encode and decode PL, in addition to setting the tone freq, what is the correct setting for CTCSS? I picked CODEC which I assume means encode and decode. On the way into work most all of the repeater traffic I was scanning was very clear and I could hit the repeaters, but missed my morning chat guys to do a real test. Sorry I am away from the old laptop I used program or I would send you a screen capture since that is probably the best way to verify the settings, but for this repeater what should the TYT edit channel screen show?

441.725+ PL 100.00

Thanks.
    Tim W4TRB

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of us who can't see the video, what are the four bands?

10/6/2/.7?

6/2/1.25/.7?

2/1.25/.7/.33?

2/.7/.33/.23?

5. W4TRB

W4TRB Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9UDX,
    Here is the manual (http://hamgear.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/tyt-th-9800-user-manual.pdf), it's a big download, but will be the best answer to your question, which I think is going to be:
    SPECIFICATIONS (from Kight Radio)
    Type:
    Amateur HF/VHF/UHF transceiver
    Frequency range:

TX: 28.0-29.7 / 50-54 / 144-148 / 430-450 MHz (USA)
    RX: 28.0-29.7 / 50-54 / 108-180 / 320-480 MHz
    (5/10/12.5/15/20/25/50 KHz steps)
    Mode:
    TX: FM/NFM
    RX: AM/FM/NFM
    RF Power output:
    Hi: 50/50/50/35 W
    Mid1: 20/20/20/20 W
    Mid2: 10/10/10/10 W
    Lo: 5/5/5/5 W
    Receiver system:
    Double conversion superheterodyne
    1st IF: 46.05 MHz (Left band), 47.25 MHz (Right band)
    2nd IF: 450 KHz
    Sensitivity:
    <0.2 uV (12 dB SINAD)
    Selectivity:
    FM: 12 KHz (-6 dB), 30 KHz (-60 dB)
    Image rejection:
    N/A
    Voltage:
    13.8 VDC
    Current drain:
    RX: 500 mA (Squelched)
    TX: Max 8.5 A
    Impedance:
    50 ohms, SO-239
    Dimensions (W*H*D):
    140*42*168 mm
    Weight:
    1 Kg
    Manufactured:
    China, 2012-201x
    Other:
    809 memories. CTCSS/PL and DCS. DTMF-ANI
    5-tone/2-tone. Built-in scrambler.
    Compare this one with FT-8900R!

Tim W4TRB

6. M0DCD

M0DCD Ham Member QRZ Page

One with 6m, 4m (70MHz), 2m and 70cm would be nice. Bit of a nightmare for antenna designers really.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone thinking of doing business with Radio Mart should spend a few minutes googling his reputation. Caveat Emptor!

8. KF5ZTT

KF5ZTT Ham Member QRZ Page

ok, so, I've been looking at this for a while, but, I've got a fairly important question that my local ham guys are asking too...if this has an onboard triplexer, what's the recommended antenna for this? after all, the frequencies that it supports don't exactly support the same antenna....can anyone point me in the direction of a decent inexpensive antenna that'll fit on a vehicle (that will be offroading, so, it needs to be able to take getting "treebranched" on occasion if it's unavoidable)

9W2TWZ likes this.
  9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And...The reason he is getting away with advertising here on the Zed for free is??????

Seriously folks. This is our site not a commercial site for dealers.
    If there is to be a blatant use of this site then I'm sure the creators of QRZ would be interested in a slice of that pie as well.

Have fun
    Gary

10. KF5ZTT

KF5ZTT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, aside from the fact that you don't like the OP for past business practices, I'm in no way associated, and, think I asked a legit question, from a new ham operator perspective...

I've been watching this radio since it came out, debating getting one, and even had my local HAM club check it out, and they thought it looked worth the price, so, I've ordered one, now, given that I currently have only a tech license, I realize I should just grab a decent 2m/0.7m antenna and be happy, but, I'd like to spend the money once, set up the vehicle once, and when I have something capable of frequencies that I'll need a general class for, I'll take that test and go from there.

So, back to MY question...what's a decent antenna for this, that'll work well on an expedition-style offroad vehicle. (Not a ford expedition but rather an overland/trails style set up rig instead of being a mud monkey or rock humper)

11. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Diamond CR8900A is a mobile 10m/6m/2m/70cm antenna designed for the Yaesu FT8900R quad-band FM transceiver. I got one recently. It works OK on 2m & 70cm, haven't travelled anywhere with 10m or 6m repeater activity yet. It has several length adjustments to tune each band. I used an analyzer and got reasonable SWRs. Not much bandwidth obviously. The manual says it has to be used with a mount grounded to the vehicle, not a mag mount. I'm using a Diamond lip mount with setscrews that bite through the paint (which will need touching-up when I remove the ant).

This TYT unit looks similar to the Yaesu, so the antenna should work with it.

Dave
    VA3DLN

12. YO7MGH

YO7MGH Ham Member QRZ Page

In the back of the transceiver on data port it's a mini USB connector.
    That is the pin out of data port ?
    It can be used for APRS packet radio communication ?

Thank you !

13. N2KPR

N2KPR Ham Member QRZ Page

TYT TH9800

I have one of these and everyone that I talk to says I am over modulated. Is there a fix for this?

14. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Speak quieter, talk further from the mic, use a different mic, mechanically modify the mic (with tape or paint or something), install an attenuator in the mic, install an attenuator in the radio, etc.

Granted there may be an adjustment you can make through the menu, but there are many other ways.

15. SV4NLA

SV4NLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand, why the manufacturers put the 10 m band instead of 4 m band (70 MHz) on quad band tranceivers? :confused: This is pointless (for me). If someone wants the 10 m band, he can have a pure HF radio (0-30 MHz). ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.