ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec

Default FT-897D

I have just received my 897 and am having some trouble getting it tuned.
    I am using a G5-RV
    Radio is set to USB 20 meter
    I am running an ext power supply set at 13.8v
    I am also running through an AT-200 pro tuner

Now, my problem when i start the tuning process I hear all the relays clicking but the radio is showing HSWR on the screen.
    and the AT-200 is also reporting an out of range SWR.

Question 1. How long can I key the mike without smoking something? I have power set to 20 watts

2. The AT-200 manual says that since the G5-RV has ladder line feed that I must use a 1:1 balun, is this true?
    I have seen other posts that have said different.

I have been able to receive a few calls but have made no contact.

Thanks for any help
    Dennis
    kk4obo

A few basics first...how high is the swr? Is it over 3:1? Have you checked your coax or coax connectors. Take an ohm meter and check between shield and center conductor. That's the first steps I would take.
    Larry W4ITX

Quote Originally Posted by KK4OBO View Post
    Question 1. How long can I key the mike without smoking something? I have power set to 20 watts
    \
    At least long enough to let the tuner complete it's tuning cycle. Since you mention keying the mic, I assume you are using am or fm mode, not SSB correct? What status is the LED bar giving you once the cycle is complete? (how many blinks?)

Don't worry. It's likely something simple you've overlooked. I've had 4 LDG tuners, and they work really well as long as you follow the instructions (ask me how I know.)

2. The AT-200 manual says that since the G5-RV has ladder line feed that I must use a 1:1 balun, is this true?
    I have seen other posts that have said different.

kk4obo
    How are you currently transitioning to coax from the ladder line?

If you are trying to tune by keying the mic with the radio set to either upper or lower sideband it won't work, the tuner can't tune, and both the tuner and the radio will show high SWR. You need a steady carrier such as key down CW or AM or FM. And, I would set the radio's power output to 10 watts.
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by N7WR View Post
    If you are trying to tune by keying the mic with the radio set to either upper or lower sideband it won't work, the tuner can't tune, and both the tuner and the radio will show high SWR. You need a steady carrier such as key down CW or AM or FM. And, I would set the radio's power output to 10 watts.
    Buy the optional LDG Yaesu control cable for that tuner. It'll basically automatically do all the above as soon as you hit the tune button. Do that for several places on each band you want to use and then next time its just a case of keying up and talking and it'll pull the tuning solution from memory.

Lowest SWR I could get out of my AA-54 was 4.3
    Antenna is 35 feet high with ladder line hanging straight down, then coax goes straight down to the ground.
    it then travels across the ground (on top of ground) to the house approx 8 feet. Next it goes back up and into
    the soffit and into radio room approx 10 feet.
    I have checked for and shorts but all seems fine.
    I am testing on USB around 14.200 and while keying mike saying my call sign and repeating that I am testing my
    set up.
    The status of tuner looks like all kights on top bar and then all lights on bottom row blink, it happens kinda fast.
    I hope I have made it a little more clear this time.
    Again I thank you for all the help

And I will get one of those cables, I just want to try what I have right now

Dennis

Change from USB to FM and try it again.

Tuner can't ever tune with a USB signal.

Once it's "tuned," then switch back to USB. The optional LDG-Yaesu control cable which will allow the rig to produce a carrier when you hit the tune button is something I wasn't aware of (see post #5 above) but if that exists and works with your rig, then that would do the job also.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Change from USB to FM and try it again.

Tuner can't ever tune with a USB signal.

Once it's "tuned," then switch back to USB. The optional LDG-Yaesu control cable which will allow the rig to produce a carrier when you hit the tune button is something I wasn't aware of (see post #5 above) but if that exists and works with your rig, then that would do the job also.
    That's exactly where I was going too Steve. While the manual actually states you can use SSB by talking into the mic, it's much easier to keep the tuning cycle going using a steady carrier with cw, am or fm.

Dennis, pages 16-19 of the manual will also really come in handy. It details how to read the status of the tuning cycle once completed.
    http://www.ldgelectronics.com/assets...roIIManual.pdf

The optional interface cable is pretty nice, but not an absolute must. The one benefit it has, other than the obvious convenience of pushing a button on the face of the rig, is that you don't have to manually set the power down to Low in order to tune up. It will automatically reduce power and transmit a CW signal until the tuning cycle is complete.

Good luck Dennis. Let us know if you get it worked out! These tuners are a breeze to use once you get them figured out..... even for dummies like me.

Fred

ok, tried it on FM.
    SWR lamps maxed out 3+, dropped down to 2 then back up several times.
    Pwr was 10 watts on tuner 20 in radio settings.
    So, still no working.
    Thanks for the ideas so far but please don't give up on me

Dennis

ok, tried it on FM.
    SWR lamps maxed out 3+, dropped down to 2 then back up several times.
    Pwr was 10 watts on tuner 20 in radio settings.
    So, still no working.
    Thanks for the ideas so far but please don't give up on me

Dennis
    Dennis, how long are you allowing it to tune? According to the manual it can take up to 6 seconds. I have an SG237 tuner and sometimes (often!) that will go through combinations for a fair few seconds trying to find a match. Sometimes I think it'll never get there, but usually it does.
    Pete M3KXZ
    GQRP 11767, SKCC 10219.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast