ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Hard rock 50 amp.....

About to order a KX3. I hear such good things about them, I guess I will have to try one myself I would also love to get the companion amp but at $1100, hard to do right now. I see an alternative out there, the hard rock 50.

Does anyone have good/bad experience with this kit. Is it one of those things that you are better off saving your money?

http://www.hobbypcb.com/amateur-radi...oup-buy-detail

That looks nice. Here's another one in the same price class: http://site.hfprojectsyahoo.com/hf_packer-amp
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

One thing that is known about the HF Packer is it has output lowpass filtering. The Hard Rock doesn't seem to have that but it could.
    They just don't state that in their description and to me that raises my curiosity and concern. I'd contact the folks at Hard Rock and find out.
    You'd definitely want the lowpass filtering. You may have to add it and that would be an added expense.
    Check with the folks at Hard Rock before making your decision.
    Other than that, it seems to be a fairly neat little amp.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon, off of Route 66.

I built an early version of the HF Packer for a friend. It was a good thing because he didn't have any constructions skills. I didn't have any issues building it and when it was done it worked great. I expect the new ones work just as good, if not better.

However, I would expect the Hard Rock does have output filtering, even if they don't mention it. I don't see how it would be usable without the output filters.

Another option would be to find an old CB amp and modify it. I bought a 150 watt, 80-10 Meter "Broadband" Amplifier at a Ham Fest for $15. Of course, it was a CB amp and had improper bias (none) and no output filters. But the basic amp design was solid. Add some actual bias with a old 723 and a output filter from the ARRL Handbook and your all set. All of the old CB amps were made to run full power from 5 watts input. It has RF sensing for the RX/TX switching, but you might have to work something out if you need to run full QSK.
    73, Martin, K7MEM
    Ash Fork, AZ
    [URL]http://www.k7mem.com[/URL]

In my area, it seems that every pickup truck or SUV comes with one or more dogs. It's so common that I can only assume that the dog(s) must come with the vehicle. So logic tells me that, if you want to keep the truck for a long time, go for the multi-dog option. Otherwise, if the dog dies, you have to buy a new truck. I have five dogs (4 dogs as of 4/4/2013, RIP Katie), so I'm set for a few years.

Hi KB4MNG

I just built a Hardrock-50 amplifier and it works great with my KX3! 50w output on everything but 6m (30w), but no filtering for 60m so can't use it there.

Really clear build instructions and GREAT customer service from Jim, the inventor.

Rugged, good looking case, upgradable firmware, clear display etc.

I have blogged about the build: www.tigerstyle-industries.com

Cheers

Josh
    M0JMO

I attempted to order the HD-50 last November but kept having failures of the website to process payment. It would throw an error each time I attempted payment. I had used the CC the same day on other sites with no issue and even called my CC company to verify all was well. After contacting the owner he said he would look into it as he was on vacation, but I never heard anything more. Guess I should try again. It looks like a decent amplifier.