ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default FT 9000 Contest

While at HRO Salem yesterday I seen my first FT 9000, it was on co signment ($4800). I never seen one before although I've seen the and played with the FT5000. This thing is huge and I was really impress. I wish it was there last April before I bought my new rigs. As I left with my tounge hanging I'm wondering just how good the FT 9000 really is?

It's no better than your ears.
    Rich, one of QRZ's elite corps of Pun Piranhas

Ocean Springs, MS (often portable from Moss Point)

The PEP upgrade definitely helped the FT-9000 series. The early run models had a lot of issues. But by then, I suspect the damage had been done. Who wanted to spend that kind of $$$ for a problem rig?

SERIOUS MONEY for those when they came out. Some of the FT9K models went for FOURTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! WOW!!!

That thing is as big as a Heathkit DX-100B and almost as heavy!

Basically, it is a FTdx5000 with the Microtuning modules and DMU-2000 built in. I would LOVE to have one of those, but not the Contest model. I want the FTdx9000D model with the big LCD Screen. But then, I don't have $14K! $4800 is DIRT CHEAP!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

My neighbor Dave WA6DKN has one, and an IC-7800, and an FTDX-5000 and a K3 and a Kenwood TS-990 (his newest one).

He uses them all but tells me he likes the TS-990 best over all of them. I'm not totally sure why.

Catch him on the air and let him rotate through the rigs...
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Had to back up yesterday, it says pep on back. It's real nice shape but I need to move on and stop thinking about it and besides it won't fit into my desk.

The FTdx-5000 is a better radio at half the price.
    Check out my Tower Install Blog: http://w6uv.com

Quote Originally Posted by N1JGE View Post
    While at HRO Salem yesterday I seen my first FT 9000, it was on co signment ($4800). I never seen one before although I've seen the and played with the FT5000. This thing is huge and I was really impress. I wish it was there last April before I bought my new rigs. As I left with my tounge hanging I'm wondering just how good the FT 9000 really is?
    Probably sounds as good as my Heathkit HW-101 on the air.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by K5MIL View Post
    Probably sounds as good as my Heathkit HW-101 on the air.

Bill
    Yes, but, is that HW-101 going to help you score with the ladies like an FT-9000? I mean, how's that going to look when you invite her down to your shack and then you have to say something like "hold on, this will take a minute, the tubes have to warm up?" With that FT-9000, it's ready for action the minute you hit that big glorious switch.

I know which radio that I'd rather have, know what I'm sayin?

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    My neighbor Dave WA6DKN has one, and an IC-7800, and an FTDX-5000 and a K3 and a Kenwood TS-990 (his newest one).

He uses them all but tells me he likes the TS-990 best over all of them. I'm not totally sure why.

Catch him on the air and let him rotate through the rigs...
    What, no hilberling? Amateur!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast