ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default US Coast Guard seeks assistance from QRZ Users

The US Coast Guard has asked QRZ to help on a cold case to track down a radio pirate who was responsible for a hoax that caused a large scale mobilization. They have provided us a recording of the traffic so that perhaps one of us might recognize the voice behind the microphone.

We have an audio file on QRZ that you can examine at http://files.qrz.com/news/USCG_traffic.wav

Here is the text of their request to the QRZ community:

The US Coast Guard is looking for the person responsible for several hoax calls made around the United States on a VHF marine band radio. The attached audio was recorded in New York City on June 11, 2012.

Please DO NOT email us with motives, theories or stories regarding other hoaxes. While we appreciate your insight, our goal here is only to identify the caller.

If you recognize and can identify the voice on this call, please email CGISNE-WEB@USCG.MIL and provide your best contact information so investigators can contact you directly. Thank you.

Note: if you have a suspicion of a person who might be responsible for this crime, please DO NOT SHARE THE PERSON'S NAME OR CALLSIGN HERE ON QRZ. Instead, contact the email address provided above.
    Fred Lloyd, AA7BQ
    Publisher, QRZ.COM
    aa7bq@qrz.com

Need QRZ Help? Click Here

I've gotta ask Fred... has it been VERIFIED beyond a shadow of a doubt that it actually WAS the CG that contacted you to ask assistance?

This sounds to me like a hoax in itself. It seems SO unlikely that the CG would ask amateurs if they can "identify the voice" behind the mic... that is just not believable to me... sorry.

I totally believe Fred has been asked to try this, however, I assume the ah that did this was probaly on vhf, and his voice is not familiar.
    I can recogonize many voices on hf and it is a valid exploration by the Coast Guard and I, for one, appreciate the thinking outside the box.
    We had this stuff on the Maritime Mobile Service in past years and always worked closely with the Coast Guard to differientiate real and bogus emergancies.
    Bob
    N4JTE

There's a more complete audio of the call here: http://videos.nj.com/star-ledger/201...hat_promp.html

5. Default

I, for one, am offended that the Coast Guard would assume that a ham was involved. Why don't they contract a pleasure craft web site, or cbradio.org. Freebanders are just as much a problem as they ever were; why settle for 26 MHz to 28 MHz when you can have even more fun on the marine band.

Bill Medlock
    WA3FHM

wow. that caller sure did pile it on! explosions and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by WA3FHM View Post
    I, for one, am offended that the Coast Guard would assume that a ham was involved. Why don't they contract a pleasure craft web site, or cbradio.org. Freebanders are just as much a problem as they ever were; why settle for 26 MHz to 28 MHz when you can have even more fun on the marine band.

Bill Medlock
    WA3FHM
    I don't think they are assuming it was a ham. I think they view ham radio as a resource to solve the problem. Fox hunt, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by WA3FHM View Post

Bill Medlock
    WA3FHM
    Offended?? They asked for HELP from the hams!! Wow, I wish the word offended would be removed from the English language. Everyone gets "offended" about EVERYTHING nowadays. THEY ASKED US FOR HELP!!!!

We see frequent actions taken by the FCC against hams who violate the rules and regs it would be great if there were no violators but in the real world that is not the case. It is a tribute to our hobby that the USCG thinks so much of us to believe we could be of assistance.
    SADLY WE ARE LIVING IN A POST-TRUTH AMERICA

They need to catch this jerk and put him in jail for a while.

Jerry/N6MEJ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast