ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Kenwood TS 440sat HF XCVR

Does anyone have an opinion on this base station? It it good Mediocre etc..
    Thanks much..
    Alby KK4Kge

Hi Alby,
    The Ts-440 Sat was to me a work horse of a rig, I had one for 11 years. The only thing now is that they are beginning to show their age. A good example might last another 5-10 years I just don't know. I have a Ten Tec Century 21 from the 70's which needs a bit of TLC but would probably make QSOs just fine. The TS-440 is, I believe, one of the last 'through - hole designs' though some of the larger chips are probably unobtainum.
    I be pretty skeptical when looking one over at this point. HTH
    Rob WA9UAA

I have one. I inherited it from my dad who bought it brand new quite a few years ago now. The thing is a work horse. It even interfaces with a computer with the right options installed (limited functionality of course since a lot of the controls are pots and buttons). I still use it fairly often (though I have other rigs including a K3). It is starting to sound tinny on receive on some bands is at some point, I'm gonna have to tear it apart and recap it.
    de Jim

I have one that was my starter rig. They are as said by others a workhorse,and the antenna tuner in the SAT will tune most anything.
    But,also like the others have said parts are getting harder to find and there were some well documented issues.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

I have one for a long time. I had problem with the auto tuner a relay was bad. I fix it and working like new again.Even I open it for all bands .. It is a good radio.as the above say , hard to get parts ..

My main station rig has been the TS440Sat for the last ten or more years.
    They can develop a tricky to repair VCO problem where it makes the bands above 20M unusable to transmit. Chirpy on CW and really distorted on SSB mode.
    Mine had this trouble when I got it and made the price low.
    I cleaned up the board where the VCO is and it worked ok for many years but now is chirping on 20M gain. On the lower bands it works just fine.
    I even use it on 60M with a small modification (one componant removed from the Control board) . It selects all the other WARC bands without any Mods.
    One note, the Tuner is not designed for 160M but I only use mine on 80M.
    The general coverage receiver works very well for Short and Medium wave listening and even pulls in low frequency Airport beacons and European AM broadcasts down below 530 KHz !
    The FM mode works well on 10M and I have made many simplex contacts and with the split function I have worked thru some repeaters.
    The IF shift is a real fine tool for tuning out interference and I use it often.
    There are many surface mounted componants on most of the boards inside.
    It has the best receiver of any rig I have used, a bit better than the BIG old Hallicrafters SX101A that I used in the 70 and 80's and a lot better then the one in my TS520.
    The transmitter,..... Well it transmits a nice CW note when the VCOs are working right.(I am a CW op) and has the Split and memory functions that I never had before.
    Overall , it's a good radio.
    Last edited by K8JD; 12-16-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

I can't think of a single surface mount component in the 440, 450 yes.
    Clif Holland KA5IPF
    [url]www.avvid.com[/url]

If you want the latest wiz-bangs, the 440 is out of date. If you want a great workhorse of a radio as a starter rig, day in and day out, the 440 is the way to go. I have a 430S bought in the late '80's and my dads 440, purchased a few years later, and they both continue to work perfectly - even after 8 years in storage they both fired up immediately and had full power output.