ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl

Default Swan 350 Models???

G'day.....I have several Swan 350's....all are labled "Swan 350" (no a, b or c)...but all 3 are different

The one Ive started working on first looks like the earliest model, it has a white dial with red markings for 20M (no blue/green legend like the others) has no dial set cal knob and has no crystal filter unit like the others, just a bunch of discrete plug in crystals. Also it does not have the "hump" underneath the chassis for the VFO transistor.

Ive got it working with full output on all bands with a lot of work but I think "the golden screwdriver" has been inside as the 80M band covered about 3.9 to 4.6mhz. I have adjusted it so its spot on at 3.7mhz (well as spot on as a Swan could be!) but the dial linearity is right out on the bottom of the 80M scale.

Any ideas and what model 350 could it be? No manuals I could find only resemble this radio

Thanks, Ross VK3NJ

Hi Ross, years back I also came across some 350's that all didnt appear the same. I talked to John Bruchey and he told me yes they are not all the same early and later models are a little different as Swan came up with different ideas to better their product. I suspect the white dial is an early version. I remember opening this paritcular 350 up to do a cleaning and replace a bad electrolitic and was amazed it had less tubes in it than the one I owned! John laughed at me when I called him, yes they do have upgrades. Terry KE6RWB

Swan had two variations using the 350 number . . . .

The first was the original 350, and 350-C numbers Based on the design of the 400, it was just a no-frills version of the 500's. No crystal calibrator, no selectable sideband. These could be easily added and were documented in the owner's manual. The telltale was a pair of final tubes (6HF5 or 6LQ6).

The later 350's were derived from the Cygnet/270 series Some had new styling (all black), and some even had a digital frequency display (the 350-D). The final was ONE tube -- and it also has a built-in AC supply.

Totally different radios. I think Cubic wanted to get as much mileage out of the Cygnet/270/Siltronix 1011 as they could get . . .

Gary WA7KKP

ok thanks for the replys.......All 3 of my Swan 350's are quite different inside. Anyway Ive managed to get two of them working sort of ok, the third is probably best left consigned as running spares for the other 2. RX audio is really good, one is reasonably stable after a warmup but the other lives up to all the jokes about Swan's drifting. I noticed ceramics in the VFO compartment for each band, I wonder if changing them out to more modern polystyrene caps would make things better?
    73.Ross VK3NJ

Greetings : Just got a Swan350 in July for my summer fixemup project ,used it a lot but never got around to fixing the sloppy tuning dial . Does anyone know the degree of difficulty in dissassembling the VFO compartment so I can just start examining the issue ?? N1AKN jeff4570@aol.com