Callsign

Thread: Choose: EZNEC or CocoaNEC (Mac running Windows, or Mac running OS-X)

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Choose: EZNEC or CocoaNEC (Mac running Windows, or Mac running OS-X)

Dear Mr. Jobs: I've come home. My new Mac (with Mountain Lion) is up and running. I'm ready to go where ever the Apple Road takes me...

...but I need advice from the QRZ.com wizards. The objective is an antenna modeling app.

Which approach is preferred by those wizards: (1) EZNEC by W7EL operating in Windows via the VMware Fusion virtual desktop; or (2) CocoaNEC by W7AY for Mac?

Note to QRZ.com wizards: no need to channel Mr. Jobs, you may post here.
    Am le haghaidh Dia. Téigh le Dia.

I also just switched to a Mac (Win 8 was the straw) and have been casually comparing cocoaNEC to EZNEC+. So far it works well, has nice graphics and has some handy things like combining multiple runs on one output graph. But overall it has fewer features and it seems considerably slower than EZNEC+. The interface is quite different which took some getting used to. If your needs are for modeling simple antennas occasionally then cocoaNEC may be fine.

CocoaNEC does not get accurate impedance or gain for antennas with a connection to lossy ground but that is a limitation of the NEC2 engine, same as EZNEC. However, EZNEC has an additional option to use a MININEC ground type which can be used to get more reasonable values for driving point impedance and antenna gain when used with a lumped resistance to account for ground system losses.

I can't comment on using a VM like Fusion or Parallels as I haven't done that yet. Or you could use Apple BootCamp to boot into Windows (either option requires buying Windows); I've not tried that either. To avoid having to buy Windows I may just leave my old XP machine in a corner to run EZNEC+.