ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default IC_765 Power Supply Pin Outs

The drop in DC supply or regulator, in the IC-765 has a molex which allows you to detach the drop in AC to DC supply. There are 6 pin outs, two are 12 VDC and two are 12 VDC (Negative). There is also two additional smaller wires in that same molex connector which I assume are also 12 VDC? I cannot locate a schematic to trace that out. Anyone know what those two wires are for? I plan to run a 765 off DC to be cleaner, cooler and lighter weight for the radio overall.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NW9R
    The drop in DC supply or regulator, in the IC-765 has a Molex style Nylon conector which allows you to detach the drop in AC to DC supply. There are 6 pin outs, two are 12 VDC and two are 12 VDC (Negative).
    INSTRUCTION and SERVICE MANUALS answer 99.9% radio query questions asked here on QRZ.

ICOM IC-765 INSTRUCTION MANUAL
    http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/ICOM/IC-765.pdf

ICOM IC-765 SERVICE MANUAL
    http://www.n7tgb.net/pages/radio/icom_manuals.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NW9R
    There is also two additional smaller wires in that same molex connector,
    which I assume are also 12 VDC?
    NO, NO, NO. THAT IS 120 AC LINE VOLTAGE !!!
    The "drop-in supply" is a Switch-Mode Power Supply (SMPS) for DC inside the radio !!!
    READ PAGE 3-12, Paragraph 3-6-1 in Service Manual !!!

===
    Chris -- Why are you opening up this radio???
    Your question, and justification for why -- tell me you really don't know much about this radio.
    It was NOT designed for what you are suggesting.

This was one of the last Icom models (1990s) that operated from AC
    with the SMPS DC power supply inside the radio.

REAR PANEL of Icom IC-765

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by W9GB; 08-29-2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Nullius in verba

The rear panel has no DC input. I was looking for teh wiring between the regulator and the radio where the regulator unit converts the output to DC and what pins. I believe the four pins on the molex are the ones I need. The other two I think are for switching the AC power on/off, very small wire. The back panel pics provide no info. Its the schematic I will look into.

THe AC supply generates a lot of heat internally, not to mention within the power supply itself. This is the major cause for the power supplies to fail in this and other similar drop in power supply units.
    The power supply sometimes will generate noise in the rcv signal.
    The power supply adds weight to the radio also.

The radio can operate off an external DC supply of suitable current capability.

I opened my 765, removed the hot running and rfi noisy psu and simply plugged another Icom dc power cable to the connector in the 765. Worked fb as the pinout is the same. The extra wires are for ac psu power line on/off far as I know. Conversely, I used the 765 internal psu as an external psu for various rigs every once in a while. Just have to do some hacking to geta ac into it and watch out for the heat sink fins, they're like a porcupine with a razor coat.

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by NW9R View Post
    The rear panel has no DC input. I was looking for teh wiring between the regulator and the radio where the regulator unit converts the output to DC and what pins. I believe the four pins on the molex are the ones I need. The other two I think are for switching the AC power on/off, very small wire. The back panel pics provide no info. Its the schematic I will look into.

THe AC supply generates a lot of heat internally, not to mention within the power supply itself. This is the major cause for the power supplies to fail in this and other similar drop in power supply units.
    The power supply sometimes will generate noise in the rcv signal.
    The power supply adds weight to the radio also.

The radio can operate off an external DC supply of suitable current capability.
    The rear panel should have two pins connected to a dry set of switch contacts that are a part of the power switch.
    The two small wires on the molex are to be connected to those switch contacts.
    That turns on the power supply by way of a slave relay in the power supply.
    I have one of those supplies for an IC-745/751.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by N0SYA View Post
    I opened my 765, removed the hot running and rfi noisy psu and simply plugged another Icom dc power cable to the connector in the 765. Worked fb as the pinout is the same. The extra wires are for ac psu power line on/off far as I know. Conversely, I used the 765 internal psu as an external psu for various rigs every once in a while. Just have to do some hacking to geta ac into it and watch out for the heat sink fins, they're like a porcupine with a razor coat.
    THat is what I kinda remember from a long time ago. I agree. The internal supply sometimes, sometimes, is RFI noisy, but mainly, generates a lot of internal cabinet heat...

THat is what I kinda remember from a long time ago. I agree. The internal supply sometimes, sometimes, is RFI noisy, but mainly, generates a lot of internal cabinet heat...
    The internal power supply I have is not in my 745 for those reasons.

Exactly! One other thing, anyone have any idea about why color paint is on the 765, 761, 751 series? Looks like dark grey, but not black....

Exactly! One other thing, anyone have any idea about why color paint is on the 765, 761, 751 series? Looks like dark grey, but not black....
    The case on my 745 is the same as a 751....
    The colors appear to be a two tone green dark green case and much darker green front panel.

I noticed the 76x paint scheme matched some of the hts (32at) of the era, as well as the 970 v/uhf rig.
    http://forums.qrz.com/attachment.php...6&d=1361071760
    http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/...12/ic-970h.JPG

The reason I ventured to do the psu-ectomy is every few weeks at turn on the smeter bulb would blow. After wiring the psu on all the time but using the rig's power switch to power the rig on and off no more lost bulbs at power up. Then I decided hey I gat this nice dc power cable, why not make the psu external?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast