ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov

Default FCC Notice To Cease All Amateur Radio Activity

http://hamgallery.com/qsl/country/USA/Maryland/fcc.htm

There's a picture of the FCC notice that basically cancelled all amateur radio licenses and thus transmissions for the duration of WWII. I know the President can invoke his "war powers" today and do something similar.

Anyone remember this event in 1942? I think it's outrageous the FCC did that. I mean..really now. If there were spies that notice wasn't going to stop them from transmitting. But, it did take away a comforting or relaxing activity of lots of people.

I wonder how hams of today would react if the government revokes all radio licenses during WWIII.

Quote Originally Posted by AD0EC View Post

There's a picture of the FCC notice that basically cancelled all amateur radio licenses and thus transmissions for the duration of WWII. I know the President can invoke his "war powers" today and do something similar.
    The notice says it is by order of the FCC, not the president. Considering the fact that it was a declared war, I'm surprised it took them a month!

Anyone remember this event in 1942? I think it's outrageous the FCC did that. I mean..really now. If there were spies that notice wasn't going to stop them from transmitting. But, it did take away a comforting or relaxing activity of lots of people.
    I wasn't there - wouldn't be born for another dozen years. But I know a bit about the history, and it wasn't outrageous at all.

You have to consider what amateur radio, and all of radio, was like in 1942. HF was prime radio territory for all radio services, particularly military. The HF ham bands were 160, 80/75, 40, 20 and 10 meters, and almost all amateurs were on the first four. It would have been easy for spies to hide their transmissions in the ham bands, posing as amateurs. FCC couldn't guarantee the ability to track them all down.

Plus there were wartime requirements for bandwidth. For example, 160 meters was used for LORAN. A lot of military radios operated in what used to be the 80/75 and 40 meter bands - did they really need to dodge amateur QRM?

I wonder how hams of today would react if the government revokes all radio licenses during WWIII.
    Considering that most of them would be dead less than an hour after such a war started....
    73 de Jim, N2EY

[I]"Enjoy every sandwich" - [/I]Warren Zevon

There's a picture of the FCC notice that basically cancelled all amateur radio licenses and thus transmissions for the duration of WWII.

Yes it was outrageous, didn't the FCC consider the contest schedule? And the Special event planned for December 7, 1942?
    All those who signed up for military service, their prime objective was safeguarding comforting or relaxing activity of lots of people.
    They were the greatest generation, your post is not in that spirit.
    See my videos on You Tube (burt2481).

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post
    The notice says it is by order of the FCC, not the president. Considering the fact that it was a declared war, I'm surprised it took them a month!

I wasn't there - wouldn't be born for another dozen years. But I know a bit about the history, and it wasn't outrageous at all.

You have to consider what amateur radio, and all of radio, was like in 1942. HF was prime radio territory for all radio services, particularly military. The HF ham bands were 160, 80/75, 40, 20 and 10 meters, and almost all amateurs were on the first four. It would have been easy for spies to hide their transmissions in the ham bands, posing as amateurs. FCC couldn't guarantee the ability to track them all down.

Plus there were wartime requirements for bandwidth. For example, 160 meters was used for LORAN. A lot of military radios operated in what used to be the 80/75 and 40 meter bands - did they really need to dodge amateur QRM?

Considering that most of them would be dead less than an hour after such a war started....
    The licences were not cancelled. OPERATION'S were suspended.

Amateur radio operators were still allowed to operate on the 2.5-meter and 1.25-meter bands as members of WERS (War Emergency Radio Service).

Glen, K9STH

I thought that the original "Special Event" was actually planned for December 7th 1941?

...And another series of "Special events" were planned for August 1945, but got canceled after the first two due to the intended audience declining to attend any future events?

?

Quote Originally Posted by AD0EC
    Depends. Define WWIII, please.

Just out of curiosity, do modern transceivers have any sort of RF "taggant" like all computer devices have a MAC address which uniquely identifies them? I would doubt it, but these days in the surveillance age I wouldn't be all that surprised.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur.

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    Amateur radio operators were still allowed to operate on the 2.5-meter and 1.25-meter bands as members of WERS (War Emergency Radio Service).
    Yes, but such operation wasn't really ham radio as we or they knew it. WERS required that you become a member of a WERS group, and operation was only allowed for WERS purposes.
    73 de Jim, N2EY

Quote Originally Posted by AB1QP View Post
    The licences were not cancelled. OPERATION'S were suspended.
    As I understand it, operations were suspended by the suspension of all amateur radio station licenses. FCC continued to issue amateur operator licenses, but since there were no amateur stations, there was nothing to operate. Note that in those days there was a big distinction made between the operator and station license, and the callsign was part of the station license, not the operator license.
    73 de Jim, N2EY

EY:

Having an amateur radio operator's license was generally, but not absolutely, required for WERS operation. Although, technically, operation was to be confined to "official" purposes, equipment tests, etc., were allowed and a lot of the operation basically resembled amateur radio operation before the war.

The first practical amateur radio repeaters were established for WERS use primarily on the 2.5-meter band. Those were "split sites" with the receiver and transmitter being separated, usually, by 100-feet to 200-feet. Audio was carried by a hard copper line between the 2-sites.

Until the early 1970s, the FCC did issue "additional station" licenses which allowed operation, without indicating "portable", for locations, away from the primary station location, for those operators who spent time away from the primary location.

Glen, K9STH

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast