ad: MLSons-1

Broadband-Hamnet / HSMM-Mesh Network

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N9KFF, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9KFF

N9KFF Ham Member QRZ Page

This month QST magazine put out an article featuring "High Speed Multimedia" in Texas. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a free broadband network for ham radio operators. Myself (N9KFF) and KC9WPK have recently started to set up a mesh network in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL. We are excited to get new and old hams to add their own nodes to expand our network. Once you have a node connected to another node, you are able to send files, data, chat with other ham operators in your area. If you would like to learn more about how to set up your own node/network, please go to Broadband-Hamnet website at hsmm-mesh.org. 73 :D

2. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,
    There is a four part posting on the http://www.4x4ham.com website that might serve as a good guide to getting started. I am a member of the 4x4 Ham group and this is a great source of information.

73, Larry WB8LBZ

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

http://hsmm-mesh.org/

Is a good place to start.
    We just had a presentation on this at our club meeting, good stuff.

4. KC9WPK

KC9WPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked out the instructions and they worked great for irc. I already had TeamTalk4.5 running in fewer steps using a pi as the server but irc is old faithful.
    After you get some nodes up you always go "ok now what?" But I have already setup a handful of random services running and keep thinking of new ways to use the mesh.

5. WA6ITF

WA6ITF Ham Member QRZ Page

When we produced the video "The DIY MAgic of Amateur Radio" (available for viewing on YouTube) we spent several days in the Dallas Texas area video recording with the Texas-based HSMM-MESH group which has pioneered this overall concept in the USA. While a few minutes of what was demonstrated to us was included in the show, I likely have enough material to produce a good 15 to 30 minutes on the subject. That said, the thing that hit me as we were working with these truly forward looking hams was that they have likely developed the hardware and software that in this writers opinion will eventually replace the FM (and all digital voice/data relay modes) repeaters as the backbone of ham radio "utility communications." If noting else, the concepts of a self-discovering and self healing network totally eliminate the need for any form of coordination committees and the like and in doing so also remove much of the politics associated with repeaters. Maybe one of these days I can find a way to take all the footage I have and turn it into a "This Is HSMM-MESH" video. All it will take is getting permission from the ARRL (that owns the actual video footage) and several thousand dollars to do post-production (editing). In my view, it would be well worth the effort because HSMM-MESH is truly the door to the future in our hobby.

6. KK4EQF

KK4EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool project. I have rolled out many mesh networks in my area using www.openmesh.com and using the cloudtrax.com control panel.Works really well.

7. K6DLC

K6DLC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was presented at Defcon 21 in Las Vegas. The speaker did a great job on explaining the concept.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 WRT-54s all set up and running well. But now I am at the "NOW WHAT???" stage.
    Evidently I need some sort of fancy software to communicate through these. To send files I need a FTP server, and to go keyboard to keyboard, I need a CHAT server. I am snowed in. Completely snowed in as I am NOT a network engineer. Gettting the routers up and running on HSMM-MESH was painless, but now I need the 2nd step of getting them to DO SOMETHING.
    That is where the most ELMERING is desperately needed!

9. AF6LJ

You could start with something simple like rig control Pat.
    Put one of the routers in the shack and the other one up stairs...
    Run HRD on your laptop and you can DX from the bedroom.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Think my WIFI router would jam my HSMM-MESH router. Both on the same band.

11. WR3T

WR3T Ham Member QRZ Page

WiFi, like most 2.4 GHz ISM products, utilize adaptive channelization to overcome most interference problems. Fire them both up and everything will just fine.

12. AF6LJ

They should coexist just fine.

13. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not only that, but since we operate with part 97 rules, you can change the crystal, and make your mesh work within the Ham band, but away from the generic part 15 routers. Keeps the riff-raff out, and keeps the interference at a minimum.

14. N9KFF

N9KFF Ham Member QRZ Page

WA6ITF ,

I did see that video from the Dayton Hamfest. I really enjoyed it. I agree that HSMM-MESH is the future of our hobby and it would be nice to have better exposure. I think that a good alternative would be for us hams that are already using the mesh network to make our own videos. Please check out the following link to a great introduction to HSMM-MESH video. I found it very helpful in understanding what a mesh network is, how it works, and how to set up your own node.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUeW2ju-RZk "Introduction to HSMM-MESH or Broadband Hamnet."

Krissy

15. KC9WPK

KC9WPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you are all set up but not sure what else to do and ssh/scp is not something you want to try and learn. You just need someone else in your area to connect to your mesh that has these things already set up and you would just click the link that appears under services in mesh status. It would extend your whole mesh's range when someone else connects and who ever may connect could be running simple services like "hamchat" that runs via the nodes flash memory and no fancy software is required just click the link, type in your call sign for the chatrooms nickname and chat away. Others like irc, teamtalk and ftp require you to download the client program once and then type in the ip(or node name in v1) as the host and then put in the port and connect. Most people hosting services on nodes will also have a webserver setup so you can visit a webpage with all the information you need to connect and use the services. My webserver that is only on the mesh has detailed info on connecting to the services and some how to steps so if someone just happens to be around and connects to the mesh they can use whatever I have installed and running. Some IP cameras can just plug into a lan port on your node and with a simple port forward in the nodes settings you can view the camera and so can anyone else on the mesh. Play around with it, if it can be done on a wired network it can be done on the mesh.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.