ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Smile Broadband-Hamnet / HSMM-Mesh Network

This month QST magazine put out an article featuring "High Speed Multimedia" in Texas. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a free broadband network for ham radio operators. Myself (N9KFF) and KC9WPK have recently started to set up a mesh network in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL. We are excited to get new and old hams to add their own nodes to expand our network. Once you have a node connected to another node, you are able to send files, data, chat with other ham operators in your area. If you would like to learn more about how to set up your own node/network, please go to Broadband-Hamnet website at hsmm-mesh.org. 73

4404 Loma Suave, El Paso , Texas 79934 DM61sw

Hi All,
    There is a four part posting on the http://www.4x4ham.com website that might serve as a good guide to getting started. I am a member of the 4x4 Ham group and this is a great source of information.

73, Larry WB8LBZ

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

http://hsmm-mesh.org/

Is a good place to start.
    We just had a presentation on this at our club meeting, good stuff.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by WB8LBZ View Post
    Hi All,
    There is a four part posting on the http://www.4x4ham.com website that might serve as a good guide to getting started. I am a member of the 4x4 Ham group and this is a great source of information.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    I checked out the instructions and they worked great for irc. I already had TeamTalk4.5 running in fewer steps using a pi as the server but irc is old faithful.
    After you get some nodes up you always go "ok now what?" But I have already setup a handful of random services running and keep thinking of new ways to use the mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by N9KFF View Post
    This month QST magazine put out an article featuring "High Speed Multimedia" in Texas. For those of you that are unfamiliar, it is a free broadband network for ham radio operators. Myself (N9KFF) and KC9WPK have recently started to set up a mesh network in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL. We are excited to get new and old hams to add their own nodes to expand our network. Once you have a node connected to another node, you are able to send files, data, chat with other ham operators in your area. If you would like to learn more about how to set up your own node/network, please go to Broadband-Hamnet website at hsmm-mesh.org. 73
    When we produced the video "The DIY MAgic of Amateur Radio" (available for viewing on YouTube) we spent several days in the Dallas Texas area video recording with the Texas-based HSMM-MESH group which has pioneered this overall concept in the USA. While a few minutes of what was demonstrated to us was included in the show, I likely have enough material to produce a good 15 to 30 minutes on the subject. That said, the thing that hit me as we were working with these truly forward looking hams was that they have likely developed the hardware and software that in this writers opinion will eventually replace the FM (and all digital voice/data relay modes) repeaters as the backbone of ham radio "utility communications." If noting else, the concepts of a self-discovering and self healing network totally eliminate the need for any form of coordination committees and the like and in doing so also remove much of the politics associated with repeaters. Maybe one of these days I can find a way to take all the footage I have and turn it into a "This Is HSMM-MESH" video. All it will take is getting permission from the ARRL (that owns the actual video footage) and several thousand dollars to do post-production (editing). In my view, it would be well worth the effort because HSMM-MESH is truly the door to the future in our hobby.

Very cool project. I have rolled out many mesh networks in my area using www.openmesh.com and using the cloudtrax.com control panel.Works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by AF6LJ View Post
    http://hsmm-mesh.org/

Is a good place to start.
    We just had a presentation on this at our club meeting, good stuff.
    This was presented at Defcon 21 in Las Vegas. The speaker did a great job on explaining the concept.
    Daniel Curry
    PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

San Francisco/Silicon Valley AmprNet Co-ordinator [44.4.0.0/16]

I have 2 WRT-54s all set up and running well. But now I am at the "NOW WHAT???" stage.
    Evidently I need some sort of fancy software to communicate through these. To send files I need a FTP server, and to go keyboard to keyboard, I need a CHAT server. I am snowed in. Completely snowed in as I am NOT a network engineer. Gettting the routers up and running on HSMM-MESH was painless, but now I need the 2nd step of getting them to DO SOMETHING.
    That is where the most ELMERING is desperately needed!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I have 2 WRT-54s all set up and running well. But now I am at the "NOW WHAT???" stage.
    Evidently I need some sort of fancy software to communicate through these. To send files I need a FTP server, and to go keyboard to keyboard, I need a CHAT server. I am snowed in. Completely snowed in as I am NOT a network engineer. Gettting the routers up and running on HSMM-MESH was painless, but now I need the 2nd step of getting them to DO SOMETHING.
    That is where the most ELMERING is desperately needed!
    You could start with something simple like rig control Pat.
    Put one of the routers in the shack and the other one up stairs...
    Run HRD on your laptop and you can DX from the bedroom.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

Think my WIFI router would jam my HSMM-MESH router. Both on the same band.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast