Callsign
ad: elecraft
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SB 200 and TS 480SAT Compatible?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default SB 200 and TS 480SAT Compatible?

If ignorance is bliss, I am among the happiest of hams! 25 years off the air. Just purchased a TS 480SAT and am wondering what is involved in using a SB 200 or what fairly low cost amp is the best to work with the TS 480SAT?

A decent low cost amp (new) is the Ameritron AL-811 for $730 (DX Engineering) and it can be keyed directly with the TS-480. To tune the amp you will need an RF wattmeter.

I believe the SB-200 keying voltage exceeds the capability of the TS-480SAT. An Ameritron ARB-704 keying interface ($60) will allow the TS-480 to work with the SB-200.

Or, you can use a 12 VDC relay from Radio Shack to key the SB-200 and save almost $50!

Glen, K9STH

i reside outside of Elgin, Illinois in an unincorporated rural sub-division. 925' ASL

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    Or, you can use a 12 VDC relay from Radio Shack to key the SB-200 and save almost $50!

Glen, K9STH
    Hmmm, Glen I wonder you would connect the ALC line between the transceiver and the RF Amplifier and make it work?

Dan
    WA9WVX

If you look at the SB200 keying circuit, it is derived from 120vac source that is rectified to DC.
    Grounding the key jack not only grounds the relay but that ground is connected to the amplifier tubes grid circuit.
    Use a 12 v dc relay in a small project box to make the ground for the amplifier.
    Provide 12 volts from your 480 supply to the relay and use a cable from the 480 to operate the outboard low current mini relay.
    Use all shielded cables, RCA jacks and your radio is isolated from the amplifier keying circuit.
    The ALC should work as is unless there is a level control issue that needs to be addressed, then you would uses a pot to control the feedback level..
    Good luck.

The ALC should work. However, like 3F says, you might have to make some slight modifications.

I use my SB-200 with a Heath SB-401 and the ALC circuits are designed to "work together".

Glen, K9STH

i reside outside of Elgin, Illinois in an unincorporated rural sub-division. 925' ASL

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    The ALC should work. However, like 3F says, you might have to make some slight modifications.

I use my SB-200 with a Heath SB-401 and the ALC circuits are designed to "work together".

Glen, K9STH
    Glen,

SB-200 and SB-401 Heath Kits are from the same period in time as to when they designed so they better work together. Where as Kenwood TS-480S has been designed in the 21 st century and uses a lot lower voltage and current fed back from the SB-200's ALC circuit versus a solid state HF RF amplifier. This is why Ameritron started manufacturing the ARB-704 Interface Boxes and matching cable kits that plug into each piece of equipment. There's less likely hood of frying the ALC circuit in the solid state transceivers when using a tube amplifiers. One thing everyone has to keep in my mind is, most of the new hams entering this hobby don't possess much electronic background, don't seem to want to homebrew or experiment, they only understand "Plug & Play." Heaven help them if something releases the magic puff of smoke while operating and the radio quits working, they'll be looking for a radio repair person on the internet to troubleshoot the equipment remotely and for free! I'm sorry it doesn't work that way in real life.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Dan,
    Unfortunately, after more than 25 year off the air, I am as one of the new hams entering the hobby. My first rig was a Knight T-60 with a Navy RBD 40/80 meter receiver and a long wire tuned with coils and a neon bulb placed just under the coils . . . bright bulb, good signal, dull bulb, keep adjusting the coils. My first amplifier was a home-brew a friend had covered with a tarp in his barn. My extra class license came only after much hard work trying to understand enough electronics to pass the test after three tries and mastering the 20 WPM code. In the presence of the FCC examiner I was so nervous I couldn't even read my own transcription of the 20 WPM code test the first time and neither could he. My call is not a vanity call but one that I was very grateful to receive--North Texas Five Texas. My interest in radio came as my WWI Navy radio op father told me that he was able to do 30 WPM hand-key and was on board ship for the first ship-to-ship radio communications. I have not kept up with the developments in ham radio and probably know less than the new hams you describe. If my request for help is out of line, I did not intend it to be. There was a time when I spent a lot of time enjoying CW with my Yaesu FT 101, that home-brew amp and a 4 element Swan tri-bander up about 56 feet on an old electric utility pole. Now I am in a HOA and very limited with what I can use. I am looking forward to getting back on the air again. But, you are right--a puff of smoke would bother me. I'd do my best to find out what happened, but would probably have to take it to someone and gladly pay them for what I am now unable to do.
    Bill, NT5T (Originally WN5QBE, WA5QBE)

If you already have the SB-200, I'd just modify it for low voltage keying and use it; but if you don't already own it, something like an AL-811H is likely a better deal and requires no modifications or interfaces to just use it with the TS-480S.

Not sure if the SB-200's ALC is compatible with a TS-480S or not: It might not be, but no big deal since the 480S can probably not overdrive an SB-200 no matter what you do. The SB-200 was designed to be used with the Heath rigs of that era which all ran 100W or more output power from a pair of 6146s; the TS-480S can't exceed that, and 572Bs are very forgiving. If you "load" the amp properly, the grid current will remain low and nothing will be overdriven.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I don't have any amplifier at this point. My wife thinks a "new" would be best for me since I'll probably have it for a long, long time--that is, if I live that long! Thanks for all the info and support. I spent some bucks trying to get someone to look at my FT 101 and they said it probably was not worth fixing. I'm going to find someone in the DFW area and get a second opinion. It was sure good for a lot of contacts years ago.
    Again, thanks.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast