ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Wouxun Programming Problem

Hello,
    I purchased the Wouxun KG-UVD1P and a fellow ham let me barrow his programming cable. I downloaded all of the software and drivers and I can't the radio to connect. The device shows com4 but it will not connect. Another ham said that I have a Prolific driver problem. Have any of you ever had this problem?

Thanks,
    KD0WEB
    Quentin

Is there an error indication when you look at the port in the Control Panel? I have seen situations where there was no error, but it was a driver problem, but they are unusual. You may need to find the driver for the particular cable you have. This page has lots of info on the driver for the Wouxun-supplied cables. Double check that the cable is plugged securely into the radio.

http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_i...category_id=49 But, I know that programming cables from other companies, like Powerwerx, may not be compatible with these drivers. I got tired of these problems, so I bought a straight serial port programming cable for Kenwood, and an FTDI-based USB cable. It works all the time on all my computers without the Prolific issues.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

The standard response on the UVD1P Yahoo group, with good reason, is to make sure the radio end is firmly plugged in. The plug will seem to seat but if you push just a bit harder, it will seat fully and should connect. Also make sure that your programming software is looking at the same port number that device manager reports the cable occupies.

Michael

You will need Prolific driver ver. 3.2.0.0. A later version will not work with the common counterfeit Prolific chips that nearly all Chinese made programming cables contain. Also, push in the plug firmly.

Updating to "the latest driver" is an exercise in futility. The latest driver from Prolific is designed to NOT WORK with counterfeit Prolific products.

so I bought a straight serial port programming cable for Kenwood, and an FTDI-based USB cable. It works all the time on all my computers without the Prolific issues.

This is the best solution to the programming cable problem for most users.

Quote Originally Posted by KF7MBM View Post
    The standard response on the UVD1P Yahoo group, with good reason, is to make sure the radio end is firmly plugged in. The plug will seem to seat but if you push just a bit harder, it will seat fully and should connect. Also make sure that your programming software is looking at the same port number that device manager reports the cable occupies.

Michael

That is correct.

The radio connection at the radio is a common problem. Thanks to mm-inch conversions and language barrier.

If the device is showing good under Windows control panel Device Manager then the adapter is most likely ok.

The drivers that came with the adapter should be used. Do not try to update them, if the adapter is working.

Good Luck.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

The problem normally stems from either a bad connection or improper drivers.
    Here's a link to the driver page of http://www.miklor.com that contains the proper drivers and FAQ.
    http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Hope this helps...

John K3NXU
    http://www.miklor.com