Callsign

Thread: Icom 706 mobile antenna question....

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov

Default Icom 706 mobile antenna question....

I'm in the midst of re-installing my Icom 706G in my S-10 truck. I ran it mobile last probably 10 years ago. I used an AH4 auto tuner feeding a 40 meter hamstick because I didn't care for the look and the swaying of a 102" cb whip. The tuner handled any hf frequency I used including 80 meters although most of my mobile work was either 40 or 20 meters. It worked well and mostly got decent signal reports. This time I am re-considering the whip although never tried it or compared it to the hamstick. I had the tuner mounted inside the bed on the right rear corner just a few inches away from the hamstick mount and ran a short piece of #12 wire to the base of the stick. This time I'm going on the driver side, again on the back but may do something different concerning the antenna mount.

How do you think the performance would compare using a hamstick vs. a 102" whip? My install back then had the base of the stick level with the top of the bed.

Please no suggestions on using something else like a bug-catcher or similar mobile hf antenna. I realize they are probably superior in performance but I want to use the stuff on hand.

many thanks,

Wayne
    n4eyz

If you'd rather work with what you have, do you mind modifying what you have? The hamstick will make a great blank for a home brew bug catcher, remove the shrink sleeve, remove the thin copper wire, make your own coil and you're in business, a couple of pictures on my QRZ page of the version I make, and I think Cecil, W5DXP, has an artical on his website about a similar antenna.
    If you must use a tuner and twig, I'd suggest the 102" CB antenna, as much as the 40m hamstick is a low Q antenna, the coil forms a tuned circuit, and away from 40m the AH4 won't make it anything else, at least the 102" whip will perform well on the higher bands.

You might want to read my Auto-Coupler article on my web site.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Quote Originally Posted by G7DIE View Post
    If you'd rather work with what you have, do you mind modifying what you have? The hamstick will make a great blank for a home brew bug catcher, remove the shrink sleeve, remove the thin copper wire, make your own coil and you're in business, a couple of pictures on my QRZ page of the version I make, and I think Cecil, W5DXP, has an artical on his website about a similar antenna.
    If you must use a tuner and twig, I'd suggest the 102" CB antenna, as much as the 40m hamstick is a low Q antenna, the coil forms a tuned circuit, and away from 40m the AH4 won't make it anything else, at least the 102" whip will perform well on the higher bands.
    Yes I'm willing to modify the stick, and I'm willing to use the whip as well. I just want better performance this time around. And to K0BG, I'll check out your link.

Thanks!
    Wayne

I want to thank all for their responses. Today I completed the install using the 102" whip on the left rear of the truck. Tuner is just a few inches below it. Rig is behind the seat, control head on dash where it can be easily pulled and concealed. I had a good QSO this evening on 20 meters with my cousin in Texas which was I wanted it for. All is good!

73's
    Wayne