ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Default getting back on HF and looking for 80m on down vertical

Getting back into HF and looking for a good solid vertical that will do 80m and down.

Looking for something solid to do our wind in our area.

Ideas?

If you don't work the WARC bands the Hy-gain Hy-tower AV-18HT is the best.

HF multiband verticals are made by Hustler, Butternut, MFJ, Gap, Mosley, and Hy-gain. The Hustler 6BTV will cover all bands, 80-10, with the addition of the 17 and 12 meter DX Engineering kits.

Butternut HF9V
    Hustler 5BTV or 6BTV
    Gap Challenger
    Gap Titan
    Hy-gain AV-18HT
    Hy-gain AV-18HTJR
    Hy-gain AV-18AV
    MFJ-1798
    MFJ-1799
    Mosley RV-7C with RV-8D
    Last edited by WX7G; 07-14-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Which do you think could take the most wind?

Oh forgot and no radials, I have no room for them.

Quote Originally Posted by WX7G View Post
    If you don't work the WARC bands the Hy-gain Hy-tower AV-18HT is the best.

HF multiband verticals are made by Hustler, Butternut, MFJ, Gap, Mosley, and Hy-gain. The Hustler 6BTV will cover all bands, 80-10, with the addition of the 17 and 12 meter DX Engineering kits.

Butternut HF9V
    Hustler 5BTV or 6BTV
    Gap Challenger
    Gap Titan
    Hy-gain AV-18HT
    Hy-gain AV-18HTJR
    Hy-gain AV-18AV
    MFJ-1798
    MFJ-1799
    Mosley RV-7C with RV-8D
    Last edited by N5RWE; 07-14-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Cushcraft are strong but I doubt any vertical without radials will be that good, especially on 80.

Carl

The no radial antennas in the list are the Gap Titan, MFJ-1798, and MFJ-1799.

The Gap Titan looks like it will handle the most wind (it has double wall tubing for the first section). It is base loaded and the 100 kHz VSWR bandwidth on 80 meters tells us it is rather inefficient, perhaps 10%.

The MFJ-1798 is top loaded and has a 35 kHz VSWR bandwidth. It is quite similar to the MFJ-1796 which I have and have simulated. On 40 meters the radiation efficiency is 25% so I expect the MFJ-1798 will exhibit this radiation efficiency on 80 meters. I don't see specs for the MFJ-1799 but it looks like an updated version of the MFJ-1799. The updating looks to be eight top loading spokes replacing four spokes with a perimeter wire.
    Last edited by WX7G; 07-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Teton Valley, Idaho. Back side of the Tetons from Jackson Hole Wy. Beautiful views of the Tetons

The Gap "Challenger" has a range from 2 Meters to 80 meters and covers 160 MHz at 80 meters. It requires 3 radials at 25' long which can be arranged in different ways. I have one and it works great, but as with all verticals, the range on 80 meters is very limited. I'm pretty sure most all are.
    I think you are going to find that most verticals.
    If there is any way possible, a dipole will give you far more tuning range.
    Gap also makes a vertical that covers 40 meters to 160 meters. I don't know how wide the range is on 80 meters, but it worth checking out. It has 3 fixed radials towards the base and does not require radials of wire on the ground.

I'm fighting the same thing now and think I'm going to put up a dipole. I'm lucky, because I have the room.
    Good Luck, check that Gap antenna, it may work for you then you can use a second antenna to get the higher bands or just live with the limited range on 80 meters. You pretty much have to either use the CW part of the band or the Phone part of the band. Gap does have plug in's that go at the top of the antenna for different ranges in the 75-80 meter band, so you can set it up for either the CW or phone section of the band, but not both.

73's John
    A Man Without a Gun is a Subject
    A Man With a Gun is a Citizen

An antenna that could operate without radials is the magnetic loop.
    The one shown on my QRZ look-up page shows the plans for a 40 foot circumference
    loop that covers 80-40 meters very well. It's tunable and when properly setup will present
    a good SWR at good efficiencies. The lowest point at 3.5 MHz is about 43% and is 55% at
    the high point on 75 meters. On 40 meters the efficiency is over 90%.
    Add more capacitance and the antenna will cover 160 meters well. Also covers 60 meters
    very well.
    A smaller version will cover 30-10 meters with good performance. The smaller one are those
    photographs posted on my QRZ page.
    The larger one needs to be up 10 feet from the ground making it 20 feet in total height.
    The smaller 2.5 foot loop does well at 5 feet up at the lowest part of the loop.
    Some have added radials and some haven't. Seems to do fine without them. Doesn't need
    a lot of radials if you chose to add them.
    Good luck and let us know what you decided on and how it works.
    BTW, copper pipe isn't cheap and you'll need 4 ten foot sticks of 1" copper pipe for the big
    loop and one 10 foot stick for the smaller loop.
    Vacuum variables are between $90 up to "OH WOW", in price.
    Hope this helps
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 07-17-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Oops

Well after all the looking , talking and research I went with an 80m dipole. It's long but after many tries with a good sling shot I was able to get it pretty high in some 150 year old trees in our historical neighborhood, the trick was getting the antenna hidden from plain view. The vertical was the first choice due to placement and ease of installation but the dipole is working nicely. Thanks for the input.
    73s

Hey.....no fair!!! You said a vertical not a dipole....

Oh well, hope it works well for you and that you have fun. That's the important part.....
    Gary

Teton Valley, Idaho. Back side of the Tetons from Jackson Hole Wy. Beautiful views of the Tetons

I wish I had your tree's. I have a large yard and not one tree. I do have a shed, bigger than a single car garage with a tin roof that makes a good part of my yard un usable. I'm pretty much stuck with my vertical and higher band dipoles.
    It's a rental, so a nice tall tower is out also.

I think you will be quite happy with your dipole, enjoy !!!!

73's, John KF7VXA
    A Man Without a Gun is a Subject
    A Man With a Gun is a Citizen