ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov

Default Understanding IRLP...

I understand that IRLP is an Internet connection between radios/repeaters using the nodes.

I've located an IRLP repeater that's about 20 miles from me, N5XWD - 443.300.

I thought I would try to make a link this evening, so I programmed in the repeaters frequency. I expected it to be free, however when I finished programming, I was surprised to hear some kind of net hosted on the WIN system coming across the repeater. I think it's the insomnia net, because they are asking trivia questions.

When I checked the node listing on the IRLP website, it listed this node (3018) as "IDLE" for 14 hours and some minutes. It does not state that its linked to 9100 the WIN system node.

I thought I would have to connect the repeater in order to hear any traffic? Is this a repeater that's always linked? Or can I hear, but not transmit without establishing a link?

Anyone have an explanation?

Maybe it wasn't linked via 3018 or it was linked some other way, or the IRLP website wasn't up to date. Probably the only way to get an answer would be to key up and ask.
    Chris - KU7PDX

Possibly the Repeater was being used in Analog by the Net.
    Catch You On The Bands!

That repeater also has ALLSTAR linkiing capability - similar to IRLP, and I know ALLSTAR can connect to the trivia net, and also to WIN System and others. ALLSTAR has grown by leaps and bounds lately - there are a lot of repeaters in TX on ALLSTAR, including the Saltgrass Network machines.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7